Boring a tapered hole
I think I need one of these.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHk9tukD7qE&t=62s
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
Is that thing mechanical or magic.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
A stunning bit of kit, the taper business is a copy of the 'TREE' taper boring head but I can't find any image or reference to the radius mechanism elsewhere, might be an original idea.

Thanks given by:
That's an awesome bit of gear.

If you're still looking to make the taper, one suggestion I found online that hasn't been posted here is to fill the hole in slightly with weld, clean up a bit then heat it up red hot or better and use a male taper (ie old ball joint with a good condition taper) and FBH to forge the hole back to tapered.

Steve
Thanks given by:
That's an interesting suggestion Steve, at least I could get the taper to match that way!

Thanks given by:
FBH, does that have something to do with a Big Hammer? If so, I always called it a BFH. Rolls off the tongue easier.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
(12-23-2017, 05:06 AM)Pete O Wrote: I'm still plodding away on my old Ford tractor, there's now barely a component that hasn't been dismantled and overhauled. One component that is going to need overhaul, as a replacement is not readily available, is this steering arm with the flogged-out hole where the tie rod end goes.

I figure I can weld the hole up and start again, but how to go about renewing the tapered hole? Can you buy tapered endmills? A tapered reamer? Make a tapered D-bit?
I probably won't get to this for a while as there is still plenty else to do, but thought I'd get the ball rolling with this question in case I need to order a tool.

Measure the taper on the tie rod end. If it is a match for a Morse taper then reamers are available.
If it is an odd taper than make a reamer. Turn the taper on apiece of scrap steel and then mill two flutes opposite each other.. Grind a bevel on the edge,  about 10° on two pieces of HSS  1/8" thick and about  5/8" wide. If you have a jointer blade you can use it instead, cut it in half with a Dremel of similar tool. Press fit or Loctite it in the slots you milled. Now you have a reamer.
I would try reaming without power first. I think hand reaming in a drill press will work.

mike
Thanks given by:
(01-03-2018, 11:22 PM)Vinny Wrote: FBH, does that have something to do with a Big Hammer?  If so, I always called it a BFH.  Rolls off the tongue easier.

Yes, there is a Big Hammer involved ;)
Guess its whichever way you're used to....

Steve
Thanks given by:
(01-03-2018, 06:45 PM)Pete O Wrote: I think I need one of these.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHk9tukD7qE&t=62s

That is an amazing piece of engineering and craftsmanship.
Thanks given by:
Throwing this against the wall.

How about a Heim Joint, no taper required.
Magazines have issues, everything else has problems

Thanks given by: