15 foot long 1 inch acme threaded rod ...
It's been a long time since I've had any free time to visit this or any other site. In case you are interested, I was not ...

Incarcerated ...

Hospitalized ...

Abducted by some other site ...

It was work [project got worse before it got better] and a personal project from hell [PFH] that has kept me busy and leaving zero time for anything fun.

Anyway, what I am looking for is suggestions on where to get two reasonably priced 15 foot long acme threaded rods. The longest I have been able to find is 12 foot from McMaster, at about $70 each.

If I could figure out how to connect a 3 foot and a 12 foot together I'd be golden, but that has obvious challenges.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Arvid

p.s. It will be for a materials elevator in the PFH. I would like something that will lift materials from the first to the second floor of the new accessory building [can't call it a garage otherwise the city will require that I meet even more draconian ordinances that what I already have to meet] in the back. My last resort option will be a hoist and cables but I would like to go for more of an elevator approach if I can.
Thanks given by:
(01-01-2018, 03:42 PM)arvidj Wrote: It's been a long time since I've had any free time to visit this or any other site. In case you are interested, I was not ...

Incarcerated ...

Hospitalized ...

Abducted by some other site ...

It was work [project got worse before it got better] and a personal project from hell [PFH] that has kept me busy and leaving zero time for anything fun.

Anyway, what I am looking for is suggestions on where to get two reasonably priced 15 foot long acme threaded rods. The longest I have been able to find is 12 foot from McMaster, at about $70 each.

If I could figure out how to connect a 3 foot and a 12 foot together I'd be golden, but that has obvious challenges.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Arvid

p.s. It will be for a materials elevator in the PFH. I would like something that will lift materials from the first to the second floor of the new accessory building [can't call it a garage otherwise the city will require that I meet even more draconian ordinances that what I already have to meet] in the back. My last resort option will be a hoist and cables but I would like to go for more of an elevator approach if I can.

What thread pitch?

Ed
Thanks given by:
(01-01-2018, 04:09 PM)EdK Wrote: What thread pitch?

Ed

Thanks, Ed,

McMaster has them at 5, 6 and 10 TPI so anywhere in that range would be acceptable with [guess on my part] the finer the better. The key would be that I be able to get a nut with the same diameter and pitch.
Thanks given by:
try here:  http://www.nookindustries.com/Product/Pr...w-Products

BTW, my bet was that you were abducted by aliens, the greys specifically Rotfl
Thanks given by:
(01-01-2018, 07:18 PM)Dr Stan Wrote: try here:  http://www.nookindustries.com/Product/Pr...w-Products

Thanks Stan. I'd checked Nook and the longest the listed on their website was 144 inches, 12 feet.

I could give them a call but am afraid of the price. I'd found a place that will make them however long I want but the 15 foot was four figures for each one ... far outside the budget.
Thanks given by:
The four-figure price doesn't surprise me, when I replaced the crossfeed screw on my lathe I looked into buying acme rod and the prices were horrendous, no McMaster option here. Making a nut for whatever pitch you can find would not be difficult.
I came across an old bloke a few years ago who had installed an elevator in his house for his disabled wife, he had used the mast from a forklift. I thought at the time it was a good option with a good weight capacity, needs a hydraulic power pack though.
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
(01-01-2018, 07:29 PM)arvidj Wrote:
(01-01-2018, 07:18 PM)Dr Stan Wrote: try here:  http://www.nookindustries.com/Product/Pr...w-Products

Thanks Stan. I'd checked Nook and the longest the listed on their website was 144 inches, 12 feet.

I could give them a call but am afraid of the price. I'd found a place that will make them however long I want but the 15 foot was four figures for each one ... far outside the budget.

Give Nook a call as they will make them longer than 12ft.  Never hurts to ask.
Thanks given by:
The place local to me has it in 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, or 10 pitch.
For steel it's $13.09 per foot.
For stainless steel it jumps to $41.32 per foot.

But likewise, their standard stock is only 12 foot in length. They can do special orders as well but require a minimum number of pieces to make it worth their time to get the longer material and tool up for it. So I would imagine they are going to charge the minimum fee for the whole lot (however many that is), even though you only want one or two pieces. I don't imagine the freight would be too cheap either.

So who won the pool? I had incarceration... Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
You could join the Acme rod in a number of ways.

The key technology in any methods is to sneak on the length of one of the members of the joint until the helixes line up.

I'd recommend this way: Tap a fine machine thread in each end of the piece. Make a piece of all-thread out of higher-strength alloy. The threads should be 1.5x diameter in depth, and the all-thread 3xD in length. It should be red loctite'd together, or it could be pinned together (I'd use mild steel pins)

I suppose you could make a half-lap and braze together. You remove 1/2 of the diameter of each part of the joint. On one part of the joint, you'd shave the length down .001" at a time until the helixes line up. Fixture, pin and braze.
Thanks given by:
If this long thread is used in a lifting operation I'd be VERY loath to join two shorter parts as the joint inevitably will be a weak point
Andrew Mawson, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Oct 2013.
Thanks given by: