Savage Model 219
I inherited a Savage Model 219 from my Dad.  It has 3 barrels and two stocks including a 22 Hornet, a 30-30 & a 20 gauge shot gun.  It's a single shot breech loader and has a scope on the Hornet barrel.  We used the Hornet for varmint hunting and I used the 20 gauge for rabbits & pheasants.  I believe Dad never used the 30-30 barrel.

I plan to go deer hunting and am looking at this scope for the 30-30 https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/...?a=1516599.

Given I have ZERO experience matching scopes & rifles I would like some opinions on this idea.

Thanks in advance

Stan
Thanks given by:
As a 30-30 is not a tack driver, I would consider a Widefield 4X as a general game scope or a 2-7X  if you think you need a variable for close range moving shots and longer range shots using some sort of rested support.

On another note: if you reload, try the Hornady 35 grain V-Max bullet in your Hornet.
Mike
Thanks given by: Dr Stan
(01-06-2018, 02:52 PM)Mike E. Wrote: As a 30-30 is not a tack driver, I would consider a Widefield 4X as a general game scope or a 2-7X  if you think you need a variable for close range moving shots and longer range shots using some sort of rested support.

On another note: if you reload, try the Hornady 35 grain V-Max bullet in your Hornet.

Thank you.  Reloading is certainly in my future as 22 Hornet ammo is not cheap.  I have some brass and an arbor press so I can make some dies for reloading.  There was no 30-30 ammo so I'll have to purchase some to get started along with some gun power and a means to measure or weigh the correct amount.  One of the gun shops in the area has an excellent shooting range. 
Where one can shoot all day for $2.00.  Naturally they sell ammo.
Thanks given by:
First off, are you sure you really need a scope? Here in Michigan, most of our deer hunting is in heavy cover and a scope would actually be a deterrent. Iron sights are a much better option. Second off, you pretty get what you pay for in optics. I own a spotting scope made by Barska and recently upgraded to a mid-grade model made by Wollensak. The difference in image quality was significant, especially image sharpness across the field and low light performance.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
I don't like hunting in thick cover, very unhealthy. Many years ago I was hunting in California's San Gabriel foothills when a black tail buck came down a trail heading right at me. As I drew back my bow, an arrow flew over the deer's back and stuck in the ground by me within reaching distance. That day I learned how bad my language could get.
Mike
Thanks given by:
(01-07-2018, 09:32 AM)TomG Wrote: First off, are you sure you really need a scope? Here in Michigan, most of our deer hunting is in heavy cover and a scope would actually be a deterrent. Iron sights are a much better option. Second off, you pretty get what you pay for in optics. I own a spotting scope made by Barska and recently upgraded to a mid-grade model made by Wollensak. The difference in image quality was significant, especially image sharpness across the field and low light performance.

Tom

Totally agree with Tom on you get what you pay for when it comes to optics. But I'm left wondering what it is you actually need for your situation. As mentioned heavy cover and open fields are two different ends of the spectrum.

More unknowns to us:
Is the .30-30 barrel already drilled and tapped for a scope mount?
How much use will this rig actually see in the coming years? We ain't spring chickens any more ya know... Big Grin

While a really good scope is a good thing to have, you also need to consider cost vs. return. I know "deer hunters" that are on the same box of 20 cartridges that they bought 6 -7 years ago. They shoot 1 or 2 rounds at the range to check their "sight in" just before the season and that's it. The rest of the year the gun sits in the back of the closet.

The good news is as far as reloading goes, the .30-30 performs wonderfully with cast lead bullets too. Although I'm sure I've already cast far more bullets than I'll ever shoot, once you get into the rhythm I do find it an enjoyable (and money saving) activity. Cool
Willie
Thanks given by:
I plan to simply purchase the 30-30 ammo as I do not have any brass to start with.  As to casting bullets, unless for some off the wall reason I decide to build & use a muzzle loader that's not in my future.  Loading 22 Hornet ammo is different and the law of supply & demand makes it fairly expensive.

Deer hunting in my area is a mix of wooded and open farm land.  I always used a scoped rifle, so that's simply going with what I'm comfortable.  I'm not really concerned with any sort of ROI on a scope.  Given Dad paid for most of the weapons at my disposal my personal investment will be minimal.
Thanks given by: