Side-and-face-cutter sharpening jig
(01-12-2018, 07:57 AM)f350ca Wrote: It appears your braver than me, i still haven't tried grinding the face of my magnetic chuck.

Neither have I. I put a dti on it and called it close enough!
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
Pretty much my story too. But plan on ordering a 46 grit wheel to give it a try.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(01-12-2018, 07:57 AM)f350ca Wrote: Very impressive Pete.
Could you grind the face of the form cutters with a thin wheel.
It appears your braver than me, i still haven't tried grinding the face of my magnetic chuck.

I got a wide selection of wheels with the grinder, including some thin wheels that would potentially grind the face of form cutter teeth like the one above, haven't looked to see what grade they are. That cutter seems to have a particularly small tooth gap- others I have such as gear cutters have room for a much wider wheel. My chuck was pretty bad when I ran an indicator over it after remounting so I had to have a go at grinding the chuck to be able to do anything reasonable with the surface grinder. I followed the advice in Steve 'Viperspit's video although I missed the important bit of having the magnet 'on' when I ground it. Having done it once, I'm not frightened to dust it again sometime with the magnet on, but now that I have a surface plate and can check, it seems to be putting out flat work.
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
Very nicely done.  Certainly gives me another idea to store on the mental bookshelf. Thumbsup I better be careful as it's getting full so things may start falling off. Big Grin
Thanks given by: