Grizzly G0602 VFD conversion
(01-23-2018, 09:20 AM)sun20ma Wrote:
(01-23-2018, 08:51 AM)EdK Wrote: You still haven't answered my question as to what terminology does not correspond with the GS2-11PO VFD. Doesn't matter though because I would not recommend you tackle this project. Get someone with some electronics background to help you. This isn't a trivial project if you don't have any electronics knowledge.  Smiley-gen163

Ed

well I have some electrical skills but it is confusing when the diagram shows 2 circuits and the original switch has like 10 wires  so I guess the 2 wires reverse internally but I just do not know what signal they work off of      well I ordered everything not thinking and I live in a small town so I guess I will have to experiment and not burn up

But that has nothing to do with the VFD terminology. You stated the my drawing didn't correspond with the GS2-11PO VFD. So now I'm confused as to what you're really trying to say.  17428

Ed
Thanks given by:
(01-23-2018, 10:40 AM)EdK Wrote:
(01-23-2018, 09:20 AM)sun20ma Wrote:
(01-23-2018, 08:51 AM)EdK Wrote: You still haven't answered my question as to what terminology does not correspond with the GS2-11PO VFD. Doesn't matter though because I would not recommend you tackle this project. Get someone with some electronics background to help you. This isn't a trivial project if you don't have any electronics knowledge.  Smiley-gen163

Ed

well I have some electrical skills but it is confusing when the diagram shows 2 circuits and the original switch has like 10 wires  so I guess the 2 wires reverse internally but I just do not know what signal they work off of      well I ordered everything not thinking and I live in a small town so I guess I will have to experiment and not burn up

But that has nothing to do with the VFD terminology. You stated the my drawing didn't correspond with the GS2-11PO VFD. So now I'm confused as to what you're really trying to say.  17428

Ed

Sorry I did not mean to apply that   I  clearly see the wiring layout   I am not sure on exactly how you wire it to work  Example being the diagram shows 2 circuits for forward and rverse but the switch has like 10 terminals      How can it switch rotation with 2 terminals  ONCE AGAIN THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AND REPLIES
Thanks given by:
(01-23-2018, 11:02 AM)sun20ma Wrote: Sorry I did not mean to apply that   I  clearly see the wiring layout   I am not sure on exactly how you wire it to work  Example being the diagram shows 2 circuits for forward and rverse but the switch has like 10 terminals      How can it switch rotation with 2 terminals  ONCE AGAIN THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AND REPLIES

I'll dig into it some more and see what I can come up with but honestly if you can't figure the switch out then you don't have enough electronics background to be tackling this project. You could seriously hurt yourself. Not trying to be mean, this stuff can be dangerous.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Sorry, I guess I missed the post about the 3ph motor.

What I would do is 'start simple'. You have the motor mounted. You have the VFD mounted. The confusion seems to be over the wiring.

Why not "just get it to work" first and then move on to "and now I want to make the controls user friendly". By this I mean wire up just the VFD and the motor and make sure that it works. I've actually run my drill press that way for several years with the brake resistors and easy-to-use remote pots and switches sitting patiently near by in a cardboard box. The need for holes out weights my need for convenience so I just never seem to get around to finishing up the details. But I digress.

If we assume this is the canonical reference document ... https://cdn.automationdirect.com/static/...2m/ch2.pdf ... you can go to page 2-8 to see everything you should need. The 'output power connections' picture show how to attach the VFD to the 3-ph motor. The "1-phase Input Power Connections" shows how to attach the VFD to power line.

You will then be able to turn on the VFD, program it [as Willie suggests, a non-trivial task], make the motor spin, control the speed via the knob on the front of the VFD, even use the G0602. You will be ignoring any of the exiting controls and using the VFD exclusively. At that point you have a working system and can noodle over what is required to make the remote switches and pots work the way you want. But you do have a working system to start with and to build upon. [chanting 'don't change everything all at once']

Having offered this advice, I will reiterate what Ed and other have suggested. You are working with power line voltages on the input to the VFD and greater than power line voltages ... as much as 400 volts ... on the lines to the 3-phase motor. THESE WILL KILL YOU WITHOUT HESITATION OR REMORSE. If you are 110% confident that you know what you are doing [proper grounding, wiring, proper grounding, wire routing, proper grounding, insulation, proper grounding, wire size, pro...] then please think about it a little more.

Arvid
Thanks given by:
If you ever get to the point of needing to program your VFD, I would download their free software that lets you do it from your computer. That'll make it a whole lot easier.

Free Gsoft

Ed
Thanks given by:
(01-23-2018, 02:02 PM)EdK Wrote: If you ever get to the point of needing to program your VFD, I would download their free software that lets you do it from your computer. That'll make it a whole lot easier.

Free Gsoft

Ed

Thx I will probably need that    I think I am going to get a extended cable for that GS2 and remotely mount the keypad controller
Thanks given by:
(01-23-2018, 02:17 PM)sun20ma Wrote: I think I am going to get a extended cable for that GS2 and remotely mount the keypad controller

That's a good idea. You can install the remote controls later.

Ed
Thanks given by: sun20ma
(01-23-2018, 02:40 PM)EdK Wrote:
(01-23-2018, 02:17 PM)sun20ma Wrote: I think I am going to get a extended cable for that GS2 and remotely mount the keypad controller

That's a good idea. You can install the remote controls later.

Ed
THX        well I looked at that software   MY GOD WHY DID I START THIS
Thanks given by:
(01-23-2018, 03:00 PM)sun20ma Wrote: MY GOD WHY DID I START THIS

Because it seemed like a good idea at the time  Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Arvid echoed the same feelings I put forth in post #18. I also recommend wiring the VFD and 3 phase motor together (on the bench or on the floor) and make sure you can get it running first before installing them on the lathe. Baby steps.

I also agree with Ed on mounting your VFD head remotely if you have that option available. That is what I did on my lathe also but I am using a different VFD.

The thing is, your VFD could be installed pretty easily if you replaced your original switches with simpler ones that have minimal connections. But I understand the reason for wanting to retain the original controls, I did it as well. But that comes with a price. To be able to do that you really need to fully understand what each and every circuit does, and how they interact with each other. To use your original FWD/REV switch requires passing high voltage circuits and low voltage circuits through the SAME switch. If they get mixed together you can kiss your entire electrical system goodbye. It can be done. But 'experimenting' will not end well I promise you.

I went so far as to add an extra circuit to mine that allows me to switch back and forth between the VFD control panel and the original lathe controls with the flip of a toggle switch on the side of the VFD enclosure. But not all VFD's can do that.

Oh, and your MachTach will NOT be wired into your VFD. It will need it's own circuitry. There are a number of us here that own them I believe. Henry makes a great product. I have mine installed on my mill.
Willie
Thanks given by: