Grizzly G0602 VFD conversion
(01-23-2018, 05:07 PM)Highpower Wrote: Arvid echoed the same feelings I put forth in post #18. I also recommend wiring the VFD and 3 phase motor together (on the bench or on the floor) and make sure you can get it running first before installing them on the lathe. Baby steps.

I also agree with Ed on mounting your VFD head remotely if you have that option available. That is what I did on my lathe also but I am using a different VFD.

The thing is, your VFD could be installed pretty easily if you replaced your original switches with simpler ones that have minimal connections. But I understand the reason for wanting to retain the original controls, I did it as well. But that comes with a price. To be able to do that you really need to fully understand what each and every circuit does, and how they interact with each other. To use your original FWD/REV switch requires passing high voltage circuits and low voltage circuits through the SAME switch. If they get mixed together you can kiss your entire electrical system goodbye. It can be done. But 'experimenting' will not end well I promise you.

I went so far as to add an extra circuit to mine that allows me to switch back and forth between the VFD control panel and the original lathe controls with the flip of a toggle switch on the side of the VFD enclosure. But not all VFD's can do that.

Oh, and your MachTach will NOT be wired into your VFD. It will need it's own circuitry. There are a number of us here that own them I believe. Henry makes a great product. I have mine installed on my mill.
THX . I have done a lot of wiring with reversing etc.. but not understanding the way the switches are configured I am at a loss
I looked at the vfd software and I am lost again
WILLING TO PAY FOR HELP
Thanks given by:
Like Willie said, take baby steps. Get your VFD and 3-phase motor hooked up on the bench and test them.
The schematic I posted for you is not the way I'd do it. I like all of the control signals to be low voltage. It takes a bit more but is a lot safer.

We can help but we can't hold your hand. You really should find someone local that can oversee your project. It's not worth the risk to do otherwise.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Coming into this discussion late but I'll add some more confusion. Why would you retain the lathes original contactor to turn the VFD on and off. From what I was led to believe switching the power to the VFD off when its under load is really hard on them.
I'd wire a disconnect ahead of the VFD then turn the motor on and off using the VFD. You can do this using the lathes start/stop buttons connected to the low voltage controls on the VFD, same with the forward reverse.
I recently wired my drill press this way using I think that same VFD from Automation Direct.
I didn't use a reverse switch, not needed on a drill press and didn't add the external pot, not needed with a 2 speed motor and 4 gears.
The tech I spoke with from Automation Direct was great, I wanted to retain the switch for the 2 speed motor after the VFD and he said no problem, IF you don't switch it when the motor is running, VFD input power on no problem.
I'm an electronics Neanderthal but worked my way through programming it using the manual.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Ed posted as I was typing. Agree all low voltage controls, thats the beauty of a VFD, it does all the high voltage switching and over current control.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(01-23-2018, 06:00 PM)f350ca Wrote: Coming into this discussion late but I'll add some more confusion. Why would you retain the lathes original contactor to turn the VFD on and off. From what I was led to believe switching the power to the VFD off when its under load is really hard on them.
I'd wire a disconnect ahead of the VFD then turn the motor on and off using the VFD.

Greg, in my case I'm using my lathe's original contactor AS that disconnect ahead of my VFD. My lathe and mill are both wired on the same 240V circuit in my breaker panel. When I'm not working in the shop the breaker is turned off, killing all power to both machines. When I turn the breaker ON there is still no power to either machine with one exception. A single phase indicator on the lathe to let me know the breaker is turned on. It's a reminder for me to turn off the breaker before I leave the shop.   Blush

Pushing the start button on the lathe only latches the contactor to apply power into the VFD. It also lights up to let me know the VFD is now "hot". Starting and stopping the lathe motor itself is done with low voltage controls via the VFD control panel itself or the original lathe control lever, which was rewired for low voltage inputs to the VFD. The emergency stop button is only used when the lathe motor is NOT running - except in case of an emergency of course. That way if I am done using the lathe the stop switch simply turns off the power to the VFD. My disconnect. That also allows me to run my mill without having the lathe VFD running the whole time I'm using the mill, since they are both on the same 240V line power. Likewise I also have a manual disconnect going into my RPC that powers the mill.

As far as powering off the VFD while it's under load... if I'm getting caught up and wrapped around a lathe spindle, what happens to the VFD will be the LAST thing on my mind. Plus the stop button kills all power to the VFD to protect whoever has to come and rescue me or clean up the mess afterward.   Blink
Willie
Thanks given by:
Willie (Highpower) wrote.

I also recommend wiring the VFD and 3 phase motor together (on the bench or on the floor) and make sure you can get it running first before installing them on the lathe. Baby steps.

I tried the bench test and thought I was home free but when I did the installation on my mill the motor didn't have the "oomph" to turn the mill pulley.
I either didn't program the VFD right or the 3 phase motor isn't any good.
I guess I should take the 3 phase motor to an motor repair shop and have it tested and, if I'm lucky they might be able to program the 
Huanyang HY04D023B properly.  17428
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
I am so glad that I have 3 phase power coming out of the wall.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(01-24-2018, 08:34 AM)Mayhem Wrote: I am so glad that I have 3 phase power coming out of the wall.

You Suck

AND GO PICK UP YOUR MAIL!!!
Willie
Thanks given by:
(01-24-2018, 07:13 AM)stevec Wrote: Willie (Highpower) wrote.

I also recommend wiring the VFD and 3 phase motor together (on the bench or on the floor) and make sure you can get it running first before installing them on the lathe. Baby steps.

I tried the bench test and thought I was home free but when I did the installation on my mill the motor didn't have the "oomph" to turn the mill pulley.
I guess I should take the 3 phase motor to an motor repair shop and have it tested and, if I'm lucky they might be able to program the 

Steve,
I'll bet the motor sounded funny too right? But it did TURN on it's own? That is baby step #1.
Baby step #2 is turn the frequency up and down to see if the speed changes as it should.
Baby step #3 is to put a light load on the shaft (I used a shop towel and my Kung Fu grip © Big Grin ) to see if it has any torque. If not, you most likely don't have the motor parameters in the VFD set correctly.

This is why I advocate doing this on the bench instead of the mill/lathe. At least your mill/lathe would still be usable until you get the parameters figured out. Number of poles/factory speed, HP, amperage etc., etc. Believe you me, I had to go through my manual a hundred times before it finally clicked and I got mine running correctly. Well, almost. It ran but it ran backwards from the way I wanted it to. I racked my brain for weeks going over the manual again and again until I spotted my error. I made an ASSUMPTION and it bit me. In a long list of default relay settings that all said NO (normally open) I chose the ONE relay in the group that had a default setting of NC (normally closed). I ASSUMED they were all set to NO.  Bash

I changed ONE parameter in the VFD and suddenly all was right with the world. Anybody that says doing this for the first time is EASY is lying through their teeth. There is a definite learning curve involved.  Big Grin

Can you post the specs off of your motor plate? That would help.
Willie
Thanks given by:
(01-24-2018, 10:54 AM)Highpower Wrote:
(01-24-2018, 07:13 AM)stevec Wrote: Willie (Highpower) wrote.

Steve,
I'll bet the motor sounded funny too right? But it did TURN on it's own? That is baby step #1.
Baby step #2 is turn the frequency up and down to see if the speed changes as it should.
Baby step #3 is to put a light load on the shaft (I used a shop towel and my Kung Fu grip © Big Grin ) to see if it has any torque. If not, you most likely don't have the motor parameters in the VFD set correctly.

This is why I advocate doing this on the bench instead of the mill/lathe. At least your mill/lathe would still be usable until you get the parameters figured out. Number of poles/factory speed, HP, amperage etc., etc. Believe you me, I had to go through my manual a hundred times before it finally clicked and I got mine running correctly. Well, almost. It ran but it ran backwards from the way I wanted it to. I racked my brain for weeks going over the manual again and again until I spotted my error. I made an ASSUMPTION and it bit me. In a long list of default relay settings that all said NO (normally open) I chose the ONE relay in the group that had a default setting of NC (normally closed). I ASSUMED they were all set to NO.  Bash

I changed ONE parameter in the VFD and suddenly all was right with the world. Anybody that says doing this for the first time is EASY is lying through their teeth. There is a definite learning curve involved.  Big Grin

Can you post the specs off of your motor plate? That would help.
can anyone tell me the parameters     I AM LOST WITH THE SOFTWARE    Grizzly lathe G0602 with a Automation Direct GS2-11PO only using it's keypad with a Leeson 192051 1800rpm 3 ph 230v
Thanks given by: