Need some hold down advice
Welcome to the forum Mike!!!

Wouldn't a paraffin leave a residue?
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
Welcome to the forum Mike.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Picked up the scotch DS tape that Tom pointed out - had to go to Meijer so while I was there... I'll try that, hopefully, in the next couple of days. I have some stuff on order at home depot, when that comes in I'm also going to grab some of that DS carpet tape. I plan to not be out of options when the need arises!
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
Thanks given by:
As promised, when I got the largest piece ready for milling I'd post a pic of the set up.  So here it is...

[Image: facemill-setup.JPG]
Thanks given by:
Not sure how much you are planning to take off, but light cuts are in order. It's also worth starting the cut over the work, rather than off to the side. Any lifting of the part is a bad thing.  Big Grin

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
I want the end result to be about 3/16" thick - give or take a bit. I used a fly cutter on the other ones I did, started those over the work. Figured if I didn't I'd launch it and probably right in my direction!
Thanks given by:
Vinny, your arbor doesn't appear to have any keys. I know you are doing plastic here but just wondering if that will be the only material you plan to use this particular cutter on?

Love the ring light on the quill. Thumbsup
Willie
Thanks given by:
You're correct, no keys. I only intend to use it on plastic. If I ever have the need to do something other than plastic I can add the keys.

The ring lite is a BMW ring headlight. Got them on banggood, $5 or $6 for a pair of 'em. Last I checked (month or so ago) they still had 'em. I did a project on it a couple of years ago. It sure is nicer than the single lamp I was using!
Thanks given by:
(02-02-2018, 06:51 PM)Vinny Wrote: Crazy glue would stick alright but you'd never get it back off.  It's thin enough to soak into the plastic.  I'll pick up some carpet tape tomorrow and give that a try.  If I can't find that I'll go for some other double sided tape.  I need to go to TSC tomorrow so we'll see what they have, if not then Meijer is right across the street.

Use HOT hide glue, holds well and comes off with a heat gun. Hot water cleans the residue off.
I don't know if hide glue in a bottle would work, you could experiment. Shellac might work but the alcohol solvent may not be compatible with plastic.
Thanks given by:
No, I don't think the alcohol and the plastic would get along that well. I don't have any hot hide glue but do have the bottled stuff from a violin I restored for my sister.

I had some bad luck with the double sided scotch tape, so I went back to the gorilla tape. Bad move. It stuck so well the plastic broke trying to get it back off. Tried the scotch again and this time it went better.
Thanks given by: