Herless (rebranded Ta Fu Yuan) TFY-618 Surface Grinder
Thanks Vinny. I'd seen that ad in my searching, but noticed the date so didn't read any further. Won't cost me anything to send an email to the guy on the offchance he might still have some info.

PeteO - thanks for the offer of the dresser. I've got a couple of cheap mounted dressing diamonds from China courtesy of ebay so really just need a holder.
From what I can work out its just a case of getting a block of steel and drilling a hole in it to put the diamond bit into, with a grub screw or similar to secure it into the holder. I think the hole should be at a few degrees from vertical (5deg??)so that you can rotate the diamond to get new edges rather than just grinding the top off it.
If that's the case its probably easier for me to knock one up than for you to send yours over!

I've been looking online at balancing fixtures, and looks like using a couple of bits of ground rod as the rolling surface is a simple option. Think I've got some I pulled from an old printer so can likely fab up a quick stand, and mill vee's in the top of the edges to sit a couple of pieces of rod in. I'd think as long as I did the milling in one setup it should be good enough.

Once I get the wheel off I'll check the taper and see if its common with something readily available, but I'm pretty much resigned to having to make one...

I'm still a bit confused about the original traversemechanism. The decal on the wheel cover mentions needing to adjust the cable after long periods of use, but its definitely a sprocket on the shaft. Now wondering if it was originally cable, converted to chain, and now pneumatic.

Also looks like its got a Turcite type of material in the bottom of the X veeway. Won't know until I get it apart whether that's a good or bad indicator of current condition...

Steve
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Herless (rebranded Ta Fu Yuan) TFY-618 Surface Grinder - by SteveG - 02-21-2018, 10:59 PM