Installing a DRO scale on front of a mill table (warning picture heavy)
Hi,
Not long after I bought my mill I decided to change the factory mounted scale from the back of the table to the front and thought others may be interested in doing the same.
It has now been fitted for years and I have never had a problem and best of all it is totally safe.

My goal was to drill the least amount of holes in the machine and to have the scale well protected from getting damaged by objects or coolant.
I ended up with only 2 new holes in the front of the table, which are above the T slot, in the thicker part of the table.
The angle is held on by 6mm counter sunk socket Head screws in those 2 holes and 3 socket head screws either end, 1 in the limit switch T slot and 2 in the original factory table stops. The new brackets holding the angle, take over being the stops for the table.

Before starting to mark the steel out, I cut it longer than needed, then sanded it all on my belt sander to give it a ground finish look. That way the tapered ends from sanding were cut off.

The steel angle is 40 x 40 x 5mm and the flat bar on the front is 40 x 6mm milled flat on the 6mm side to sit flush on the angle.
The end are caps made out of 40 x 6 also, and the table stop/brackets are made out of 32 x 12mm and both are welded to the angle.

I painted the front of the table and the back of the angle to stop rust. I also added sealer to stop coolant getting down between them.

The angle on the front of the reader head bracket protects the reader head and the limit switch from damage from the power feed stops and droppings things, also coolant. The front edge is tapered down to give a drip edge to stop coolant running back under onto the limit switch.
There is a stainless steel plate that runs from behind the angle to up under the flat bar about 30mm to stop coolant running onto the reader head.

I made the power feed stops in 3 pieces, I milled pockets in them to get good penetration and hide the weld when finished.
So far it has worked as planed.

The heads of the 4mm allen head bolts were to big in height and diameter, there is a photo showing how I machined them down to suit. There is also a picture of my original drawings.

Dave

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
It wouldn't let me post any more in the last post, so here are the rest.

Dave

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Dave,

Wow! Incredibly good job installing the DRO. I like the way you used your belt sander to get that ground look. It matches the table nicely.

On a side note, 15 attachments are allowed per post so that's why you couldn't attach all of the pictures to one post.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Thanks Ed,
I thought the picture count was used up, LOL
The steel angle idea has saved the scale many times. I still have to install one on the carriage scale on the lathe. When I accidentally drop something down the back I cringe thinking of the scale and the aluminium cover, but with a steel angle covering it you have no worries.

Dave
Thanks given by:
Dave,

That sure is one fabulous job Smiley-signs107

Looks exceptionally well done Worthy

Great job Dave and nicely shownThumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Dave J, excellent work, just curious though, I wonder what was wrong with the scale mounted on the rear of the table?
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Beautful work, thanks for sharing it.Smiley-signs107
Collecting tools for 30 years.
Thanks given by:
(05-09-2012, 08:14 AM)stevec Wrote: Dave J, excellent work, just curious though, I wonder what was wrong with the scale mounted on the rear of the table?

Hi Steve,
With the scale on the rear you loose around 35mm travel and this mill only come with around 200mm as it was.
From factory they had stops set up to stop any damage to the scale, but it limited the travel to 160mm.
I have also extended the Y axis travel out to 280mm so I didn't want the scale on the rear eating up my hard work so to speak. I will post about that latter.

For a mill that has 600mm X travel you would thing they would give you a bit more Y travel than 160-200mm.

With the 600mm x 280mm travels now it's a lot more comfortable using it as your not limited in the Y. It is also a horizontal mill so you need a bit of travel using collet chucks in the horizontal spindle.

Dave
Thanks given by:
Gottcha Dave J, Makes sense to me now. Again, beautiful job!.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Fantastic work Dave J,Smiley-signs107

I like the whole idea of protecting the scale like that!Drool

Great work and well posted.ThumbsupThumbsupThumbsup

Jerry.Popcorn
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by: