Help DRO Questions
(03-26-2018, 05:54 PM)kwoodhands Wrote: Willie and Tom, thanks for the drawings and video. I have the Igauging digital scales, not really a DRO but works for me. I never understood the two terms til now. 
thanks.

Mike

(03-26-2018, 06:56 PM)Cross Slide Wrote: Mine is a Mill Drill that always seems to require moving the head up of down to do different opperation. Which then requires indicating the Vise. Maybe some day I will be able to find myself a used knee mill in good shape.
Trevor

Guys, I recommend spending some time checking out Tom's videos. https://www.youtube.com/user/Figbash3

You're likely to find the answer there to many questions you may have. Tons of great tips to store under your belt too. If not there are lots of other good folks here also that will pitch in to help where they can. Take advantage of it - it's free.   Big Grin

Trevor, its not much different with a knee mill. You are constantly moving the knee up and down just as much for one reason or another. There shouldn't be any reason to have to re-indicate the vise on your mill though?  17428
Or are you referring to re-establishing your zero point?
Willie
Thanks given by:
Willie.
It's mainly keeping the current position or zero point. I have drilled a hole, then found out I have to raise the head to fit a larger bit. When I crank the head up it can swing side to side sometime moving to the side 3/8-1/2". Then I have to spend time trying to line up with the work piece again.
I wouldn't mind so much if it was a knee style since from what I have seen on videos you can raise and lower the table and it stays lined up with the current position. Most of the time I have the quill extended almost as far as it will go just so I can fit the longer drills etc. Which i know isn't the best practice either.
I know in the skeam of things it's kind of minor to have to re-establish the position. But I find it to be a huge pain.
Trevor
Thanks given by:
I hear you. Yes it's an annoyance on a round column mill/drill , but I'll bet you are really good at locating a zero point now! Smile

But I've always believed any machine is better than no machine. I started out with nothing more than one of the original Harbor Freight mini-lathe's with the square 4 tool holder posts. What a pain that is to have to re-shim every single cutting tool to get it on center when changing or re-sharpening a tool. Of course now they have quick change tool posts for those lathes, just like they are making dovetail column mill/drills now. Still I don't any regret having bought the mini-lathe because I learned a LOT by getting some hands on time with it. Smile
Willie
Thanks given by:
(03-27-2018, 12:02 PM)Highpower Wrote: Still I don't any regret having bought the mini-lathe because I learned a LOT by getting some hands on time with it.

My exact same experience with the HF 7x10 mini-lathe.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I looked at that kit. What is the blue tooth part? Looks like the scales plug in with cables?
Robert
"but will it work when I get it back together?"  - Me
Thanks given by:
It doesn't look like it comes with a display. You supply an android phone or tablet for the display. There was a DIY setup, maybe there still is, that worked that way and was coincidentally made by a guy named Yuri, just like the guy that makes this one. :)

You can get more info here: http://blu-dro.com/
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
You have to supply the scales and display.
There are a few different scales that will work with it. I used Igaging Scales with Micro d plugs.
The scales then plug into the blu-DRO. Inside the box there is a Bluetooth component.
On the android tablet you download the free app.
Then you just connect.
I have two of them. One on my lathe and one on my mill. I can have them both on at the same time. There is no Bluetooth glitches between the two.

Trevor
Thanks given by:
I am really glad you posted about this, as I have a Clausing 8520 mill with the Igaging DRO system on it. I works fine, but a better display with a few more abilities would be great. I have been giving some thought to getting a tablet and going this route, and I'm thinking now that I definitely shall do so.

Thanks again!
[Image: coffee2.gif]

Terry
Making stuff with old machines.
Thanks given by: