Identifing tool steel from McMaster Carr
I recently ordered a couple of lengths of drill rod from McMaster and when I pulled them out of the shipping tube the little ITEM NUMBER not-so-sticky labels were laying down in the bottom of the tube instead of being stuck to each rod. The drill rods I ordered were the same diameter but different types of steel. So now I had no way of telling them apart.   Bash

The ends of the rods had color markings but there is no standard to follow. Different manufacturers use different color choices. This information is not shown anywhere in their catalog either. I contacted McMaster and asked them to send me the color code used by their supplier of tool steels. So if you buy drill rod from McMaster too, here it is in case you find yourself in the same predicament some day.

Looking online it seems that most manufacturers use red for O1 and green for W1 - so I'm glad I asked. It will save me from having to re-do failed heat treating because I used the wrong quenching media.

.pdf   McMaster Carr Drill Rod Specification Sheet.pdf (Size: 463.33 KB / Downloads: 21)
Willie
Thanks given by: EdK , pensivedoc , MasterOfCam
Surely that's their problem not yours - tell them they are not identified and to replace with individually identified items.

Just to accept the situation doesn't help the next person who orders drill rod
Andrew Mawson, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Oct 2013.
Thanks given by: