Working on upping my measuring game.
Since I now have piles of used gage blocks to clean and inspect I needed to improve upon the tools I had available to do that. I've been watching the sale ad's and ebay for several weeks and managed to pick up some pretty good deals on some new and used metrology tools.

The Interapid tenth's DTI and the Mitutoyo Quantumike came from MSC. Good sale prices and discount code came at the right time. The Mitutoyo HICATOR and stand and the NSK mechanical digital micrometer were both ebay finds. I just couldn't pass up the NSK for 20 bucks. Both were pretty filthy but they cleaned up nice and work perfectly. No deep scratches but there is a little crazing on the Mitutoyo stand platen that I want to get rid of and plan on re-lapping it myself. More on that later...

Then I took it a step farther when I spied this on ebay. It was a well used and abused Lapmaster CP-2 monochromatic inspection light. Missing the carry handle, one of the lid latches, the rubber feet, several screws and the hardware that was there was badly rusted inside and out. The power cord was rock hard and the switch housing broken with wires hanging out of it. It too was a filthy mess inside and out but it worked. I made an offer on it and it became mine.

It took me quite awhile to carefully tear it apart, clean it all up, and replace the hardware. I couldn't find latches that matched the originals at McMaster so I just went with the old metal toolbox style latches. The new latches need 3 screws instead of 2 like the originals and of course the old holes didn't line up exactly. I had to fill in the original holes with epoxy - let cure for 24 hrs and then drill the new holes right next to them. Rinse and repeat for the other side since gravity won't let you do both sides at once. Same with the carry handle holes. I wanted to replace the entire power cord with a new one but couldn't. The 3,000 volt transformer housed in the bottom half of the case is completely potted in tar and there is no way to get into it. I had to cut the original primary cord and then wire it to a terminal block I added inside the case. I also installed a new toggle switch in the side of the case to replace the original in-line slide switch.

I was also able to find a couple more NOS optical flats on ebay for cheap. A pristine Van Keuren 4V 4 inch (circa 2017) and a Russian 60mm (circa 1975) without a single scratch on either of them. I have several smaller flats from Surplus shed but these will be coming in handy very soon.

This is a view of the light from the serpentine helium tube that sits behind a white defusing plate.

And a quick test using the CD ROM trick to view the difference between the light wavelengths (colors) given off by the overhead florescent light in my shop and the single wavelength of the monochrome light source. I'm no photographer so I'm not sure if the violet tint in the second photo was from another florescent behind me or light coming in a window behind me. Either way it wasn't easy to get the monochromatic light reflection to show up on camera.

Willie
Thanks given by:
Taking your hobby to a new level I see, Willie. Next you'll be making your own gauge blocks. Big Grin

Nice haul.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(04-25-2018, 08:17 AM)TomG Wrote: Taking your hobby to a new level I see, Willie. Next you'll be making your own gauge blocks. Big Grin

Nice haul.

Tom

HA! Hardly Tom. It's just a work around for us poor schleps that don't have a surface grinder. (No room for one.) Any fine grinding around here has to be done by hand.   Blush

For instance I also snagged a nice size surface gauge off of ebay. The single picture that was posted for it was so dark you couldn't make out any details other than the fact that it was missing the scribe rod. The seller had it listed on a buy it now for $15 with no takers. I assumed it was most likely an old beat up Craftsman tool as I'm sure many others did as well. I decided to take a chance and make them an offer of $10 and they accepted. It was cruddy and rusted when I got it but it was all there sans the scribe. Turned out to be a Lufkin #520.   Yikes

You can see that it needs some TLC and this has become my pilot lapping project to see if I can bring it back. Lots of scratches and pitting but as of now 90% of all of that is gone now. I got side tracked refurbishing the Lapmaster light but now I can get back on it. I need to drop down a grit to get down to the last the remaining pits before I can start polishing it back up again. Along the way I'll keep track of the topography with my new inspection tools and see if I can the base of this thing FLAT and perpendicular. If successful I'll have a go at that indicator stand platen. It mainly just needs a good polishing.
Willie
Thanks given by:
I haven't been able to work on this for awhile but this is where I left off. Removed the majority of the deep scratches and pitting with 150 grit sandpaper and then worked up to 2000 grit to get this finish. Next I will switch to around a 7 micron diamond paste and work up to maybe 4 micron from there for the final lapping. Hope to get back on that next week. It is slow going to be sure.

Willie
Thanks given by:
Looks like some nice handy items to have, even better knowing how to put them to use.

good one Willie

pep
Magazines have issues, everything else has problems

Thanks given by:
I'd trade it all in a heartbeat for a good surface grinder. And someplace to house it...

No room at the inn. Sadno
Willie
Thanks given by: