Lathe way protection covers
Hi,
I made these covers up for my lathe to stop the chips getting on the ways and the lead screw, I wasn't sure if they were a good idea because they might get in the way.

After being on for about 2 years they have worked great, the only modification has been to cut the one on the saddle back 20mm to allow it to come a little closer to the head stock.

The saddle one is attached with 2 top screws that attach the standard way wiper's so no extra holes. I bent up and mig welded the 2 sheet metal plates together, it about 0.5mm thick.Under the ends of the cover that might touch the ways I glued some rubber inner tube to stop the steel touching on the ways if pushed down.
The lead screw cover is attached with 2 screws into the gap bed. The 2 holes were there already for the US style carriage that has the rack on the gap. They were puttied/bogged over. It is made up of 2 sheet metal plates 0.5mm thick welded together.

The tray underneath the chuck just sits there in between the ways and makes it easy to empty the chips into the garbage. It also stops the hassle of trying to get the chips from around the gap bolts and out of the socket head bolts that bolt it down.
Clean up time on the lathe ways have been cut by around 75%.-90% on jobs near the chuck.

Dave

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Dave,
A very nice and useful mod to any lathe.Thumbsup

Very nicely made and fitted Smiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
well dun
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys,
As Dave said a useful mod to any lathe. It save so much clean up time and before fitting these I was always wiping the ways before moving the saddle, now there covered I don't have to. They are also great when using emery cloth as the grit does not go on the ways.

Dave
Thanks given by:
Dave,

Is that aluminum looking piece that's at the rear of the saddle just a handle for lifting the guard on and off or does it serve some other purpose?

Ed
Thanks given by:
Well spotted Ed, my DRO scale cable runs in it for protection.
Instead of machining out the cross slide to get the cable over the back under the scale like some guys do, I ran it under the carriage and out over there.

They call it sail track and it has a opening down one side.

I had these on the computer from a while back when someone asked the same question.

Dave
Thanks given by:
Here are a few more I just found.

Dave
Thanks given by:
Dave,

Well that is really neatSmiley-signs107

Smiley-eatdrink004
Dave
Thanks given by: