Supporting Long Stock
I have a project coming up that I will need to turn a few inches on the ends of some long pieces of 1/2” and 1” OD tubing. The tubing will be around 4’ long. So there will be a lot of material sticking out of the headstock on my lathe. 
What do you guys use to support the material sticking out from whipping around?
I’m looking for some ideas of something that I can build instead of something that is bought.
Thanks
Trevor
Lathe - Craftex CX701, Mill - Craftex B30 Mill/Drill, DRO - blu-DRO
Thanks given by:
Here is one man's solution:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODaz69QJhdM

I don't have a dedicated stand for mine. But you could easily put one together. The drawings for the rollers can be found on Keith Fenner's web site.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=14774]

I've seen folks that rigged up their lathe center rest on a stand and used that. Or you could just drill a 1-1/2" hole in a piece of lumber and secure it in place behind the head stock. The material doesn't have to be securely held on center. Just prevented from swinging around wildly. A LITTLE bit of wobble isn't going to hurt anything.   Smiley-gen163
Willie
Thanks given by:
Willie makes a good point about making a hole in a piece of lumber and using it for support. I've done exactly that in the past, clamping the board with the hole in it to a sawhorse situated in just the right place. Works like a charm, it's all I've ever used.
[Image: coffee2.gif]

Terry
Making stuff with old machines.
Thanks given by:
The nice thing about using lumber is that it makes it easy to attach a roll of toilet paper, in case things go awry. Big Grin

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(09-04-2018, 07:57 AM)TomG Wrote: The nice thing about using lumber is that it makes it easy to attach a roll of toilet paper, in case things go awry. Big Grin

Tom

I'd bet money Tom is a great chess player. Always thinking a step (or 5) ahead. Thumbsup

Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
My first lathe (Colchester Student mk1) was in my tiny garden shed workshop. Naievly I thought it a good idea to drill a hole in the wooden wall opposite the head stock bore to accommodate a length of 10 mm stainless I was turning into Sweet Corn forks as Christmas presents. Over enthusiastic, too much poking through . . . You know the rest . . . Bar whips and thrashes removing large chunks of wall before I get yo the eStop !

So yes a good idea if used with caution!
Andrew Mawson, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Oct 2013.
Thanks given by:
It may be more common than one would think.   Chin

Keith Fenner
Willie
Thanks given by:
In one shop we used long boards with smaller ones nailed in place to create a groove for long material being turned.  Worked quite well.
Thanks given by: