1945 Craftsman 101.07403 CNC Conversion
So, since the last time that I posted I have completed my Associates degree in Precision Machining Technology, learned to setup Index MS25/MS25E multispindle automatic screw machines for production of aerospace components, run a Mori Seiki SL-15MC to make non-destructive testing probes for steam generators and am now assisting with maintenance duties as well as operating Okuma MC-60H and MC-5VA mills with the probability of learning to run several other large 4 and 5-axis horizontal mills. I haven't given up on converting my lathe to CNC, I have just allowed life to get in the way of having fun tinkering.

I have been revisiting the conversion of this lathe and I contacted MicroKinetics about possibly assembling a kit given the dimensions for my lead screw, cross slide screw and possibly one for my milling attachment. My other idea was to attempt to assemble my own kit. I really like the idea of having a closed loop system and I have been looking at these for my cross slide and milling attachment, and one of these for the lead screw. I contacted a lead screw company that sells on Amazon a long time ago and they had an initial response but after I sent them pictures they never responded again.
SnailPowered, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Aug 2012.
Thanks given by:
I have been looking at FlashcutCNC because I found it on a website that talked about doing CNC conversions. It seems to me that I would need their Flashcut software and USB signal generator, then a power supply and the motors I posted above. Looking at the cost of the Flashcut system I will continue looking for a less expensive option. I think that this power supply would be appropriate.
Thanks given by:
I don't know how much you have budgeted for the conversion and I want to encourage you to leave the SB in its original form. Given the rpm limitation of the spindle I really don't think you'll be happy with the end result. Keep it as a one off or 2nd operation machine and find a more modern lathe with much higher spindle speeds to convert or a small CNC lathe in need of TLC/restoration. You do not indicate were you are in the US which makes it difficult to give advice on where to look. I recommend talking to your instructors and see if they have any ideas. One possibility is HGR Surplus near Cleveland Ohio. Keep in mind most of their offerings are in need of complete rebuilds. Other possibilities include state & federal auctions. Look for equipment surplussed by schools, especially post secondary schools and machines from research/prototype labs.
Thanks given by: SnailPowered
I won't do anything to the lathe that I can't undo and the 2,000 rpm is plenty fast for me. I am fully aware of the limitations of the lathe. I'm in the Pacific Northwest and there are plenty of machines that would probably be better suited to a CNC conversion available, however I don't have them and buying another lathe wouldn't be in my budget at all. I have contemplated fabricating a lathe, but that would be just as costly as getting another lathe. I'm currently working on setting up my Maslow CNC router because it is less expensive to setup than converting my lathe and I might be able to sell some stuff I have been dreaming up. I'm hoping that it will help me fund the lathe project as well as give me more experience with the electronics side of the CNC stuff. If money weren't an object I would absolutely design and build my own lathe because it sounds fun. Unfortunately, that isn't where I live.
Thanks given by:
Off topic but my neighbor and a couple customers were eod over there and back here you ever been to mcas Yuma ???
Thanks given by: