Building a simple bench
I had to remove a wood constructed bench to make room for my new mill and ever since I have missed the work space and storage. I decided to build a smaller bench in the same spot but I would make it out of metal rather than the 2x4 construction of the old bench. Here is the old bench.

This is the space I have to work with now after moving the parts washer.

The bench will be 4' long, 36" tall and 2' deep with a lower shelf. I have some left over 3/4" melamine that I will use for the top and shelf. The first job was to cut some 1 1/2" square tubing to length using the band saw. Here is the start.

I setup the end sections first.

Lots of clamps help and also having a good table. When I get it square I tack all of the tubes.

I flip the weldment over and clamp to the table and finish tacking the tubes. Next I weld out the joints. Here is the first end piece welded up.

After finishing the other end piece I set them up on the table using the long tubes to set the length and squared it up. After tacking the top section I added the lower cross tubes that will support the shelf.

Once everthing was tacked I started welding all of the joints. I like to weld in position if possible so I flip the weldment around as needed. Here are some closeups of the welds. I am only showing the decent ones.Smile

I wanted to add leveling feet so i cut some 1/4" thick flat bar to length that I will weld into the tubing.

Collecting tools for 30 years.
Thanks given by:
I plan on using tapped holes and carriage bolts to level the bench. I used the mill to drill the holes.

I tapped the holes using the bench vise.

Next I set them in the legs by eye and tacked in place using the mig welder as I had to hold with one hand and run the mig with the other. The tig would have required three handsBig Grin

And fully welded with the tig

Next it's into the paint booth and then I have to cut the top and shelf pieces. maybe later today or tomorrow.
Thanks given by:
Dan,

You certainly do have a nice collection of welders and your welding table is one I dream about. Is that a 1/2" thick top on your welding table?

Ed
Thanks given by:
Hi
Dan
Nice looking welds
Like you say you have to put a lot more heat in to the job with Tig
Very pleasing results though
You cant beat a nice strong flat welding benchBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Thanks for posting
John
Thanks given by:
Thanks Dan, Smiley-eatdrink004

Great topic and love the pics!!Drool Smiley-signs107

I have 2 2'x4' steel tables on my to do list one will be a flip top with a burning grill under the top and wheels, the other a stationary fixed top.

they will be of equal height so when not in use the flip top will park at the end of the fixed top making one 2'x8' work surface.Smile

All I need to do is muster up the confidence to start welding!Chin

Jerry.Popcorn
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
(05-11-2012, 03:06 PM)EdAK Wrote: Dan,

You certainly do have a nice collection of welders and your welding table is one I dream about. Is that a 1/2" thick top on your welding table?

Ed
Ed,

The top is 1/2" 4'x4' with a very heavy frame under it. For several years I used it with just the 4 legs welded to the 1/2" top but the plate wasn't flat so I took it apart and had the top straightened and then built a stout frame. It makes a big difference when setting up a project when the top is flat. I use it for alot more than just welding as it is my main work surface in the shop.
I figured I have about 50" of weld in the bench so far. Good practice as I am still learning the tig.
Dan
Thanks given by:
Hi Dan,

When you say you "had the top straightened" what exactly did that entail? I can't imagine how you would straighten something that large.

Thanks,
Ed
Thanks given by:
(05-11-2012, 02:47 PM)DanH Wrote: Next I set them in the legs by eye and tacked in place using the mig welder as I had to hold with one hand and run the mig with the other. The tig would have required three handsBig Grin

That's a job for a couple of "Mag Tabs".
Handy little devils if you ask me. Best $20 I ever spent on magnets. Cool

Watch for the bonus explanation on ball bearings. Very educational. Big Grin

Willie
Thanks given by:
The top plate is a long story. I picked out a flat piece of plate at the steel supplier that the 4x4 piece would be cut from and when I came to pick it up the piece they gave me was bent like a potatoe chip. After using it for several years I found a fab shop that had a large enough roller to roll the plate flat. It would have been alot easier and cheaper if the first supplier had given me a better piece to begin with. I had to prepay for the plate and pick it up a coulpe of days later (for them to cut it to size). I think they just found another piece rather than cutting the one I picked out.

Live an learn...
Thanks given by:
Well it's painted and the top and shelf are installed. Here is the finished piece.

The wood edges are still raw. I don't know if I will just paint them or try that iron on edging.
Thanks given by: