Homemade tool box drawer thickness ???
Well I built the stand for my mill so I could add a set of drawers underneath to add some extra weight and I need every inch of storage I can get. Was wondering from those that have done it what gauge sheet metal you went with? I was thinking 20 or 16 my drawers in my other boxes are thinner but they are also stamped to stiffen them. I had originally planned to get a bead roller but HF discontinued  there's and I haven't decided if I wanna pay 160 for the one from Woodward fab. Which is basically the same as the HF just more expensive. I also don't wanna drop a ton on sheet metal for the drawers trying to find the happy medium between cost and strength 💪 .what do y'all think ??? those that have done it what do you wish you had done differently if anything ??? My stand is 2x2  1/4 inch wall my plan to add rigidity and weight was to skin the inside and outside and fill that space with concrete would love to fill it with lead but I couldn't find that much lead and buying new lead would be pricey  so I figure concrete would be cheap and easy  then add drawers inside to make the base as heavy and dense as possible what do y'all think ????  Smiley-dancenana Smiley-dancenana

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Twenty gauge is fine for drawers even without beading. I was looking at my Kennedy box and that's what they use. The drawer itself is simply one bent up piece for the bottom, sides and back and another piece for the front. The front has flanges top and bottom for stiffness. Larger drawers would benefit from a flange on the sides as well.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by: