Centrifugal switch on lathe motor ??? Help please
Well the start capacitor went out on my lathe motor and grizzly tech told me I need to adjust the centrifugal switch and linked me to a video they made. only problem is mine doesn't look anything like their video and seems to be pressed in place behind a bearing with the spring points outside that. I'm thinking this thing isn't adjustable I just wanna make sure I'm not missing something. I've got some pics hoping maybe someone with more knowledge than me can concur since of course I chose to do it on a weekend when they're closed  Smiley-dancenanai can take more pics of needed but the switch looks pressed on the shaft with no adjustment screw and the point plate looks to have two bends that make it a spring am I missing something ???

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Dump the Chicom motor & order a replacement from the Surplus Center https://www.surpluscenter.com/  You'll be way ahead money & time.
Thanks given by:
Unless the contacts have welded themselves together I doubt there is anything wrong with your start switch, since the weight mechanism appears to be pressed in place as you already mentioned.

A stuck start switch is not the sole reason a capacitor might fail. It may very well have died due to natural causes... leaking electrolyte, internal short or open, etc.
Smiley-gen163
Willie
Thanks given by:
(01-20-2019, 02:45 AM)Umahunter Wrote: Well the start capacitor went out on my lathe motor and grizzly tech told me I need to adjust the centrifugal switch and linked me to a video they made. only problem is mine doesn't look anything like their video and seems to be pressed in place behind a bearing with the spring points outside that. I'm thinking this thing isn't adjustable I just wanna make sure I'm not missing something. I've got some pics hoping maybe someone with more knowledge than me can concur since of course I chose to do it on a weekend when they're closed  Smiley-dancenanai can take more pics of needed but the switch looks pressed on the shaft with no adjustment screw and the point plate looks to have two bends that make it a spring am I missing something ???

G'day Umahunter,

That was good advice about the possibility of a failed capacitor, usually tested by a multimeter with capacitance testing capability. However, frequently a failed capacitor may be confirmed by the "blown" convex 'bottom' and/or 'top' of the capacitor canister. In addition I recall there are other video's on u-tube about servicing various the centrifical switches which may be of assistance.

john aka castellated nut Western Australia
Thanks given by:
Welcome to the forum, John!!!
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
(01-22-2019, 12:37 AM)Vinny Wrote: Welcome to the forum, John!!!

Thank you Vinny for this great gathering of like minded folk.
Thanks given by:
(01-22-2019, 12:37 AM)Vinny Wrote: Welcome to the forum, John!!!

Hi Vinny,

It seems the picture attachment process is not performing as it should. Yesterday i was limited to posting only one (attachment) picture. Today I've attempted to provide photos as suggested by Pete O and TomG without success.

By without success I mean only one picture could be attached some of the time and more frequently the system failed to attach even one picture although I've been at it for 7+ hours today, along with shutting down my desktop computer and restarting it, trying the laptop computer all with he same result at this end.

I have read EKd posting on the attachment procedure three times. (1. click on "Browse" and choose a pic, 2.  click on "Open" on the File Upload screen provided, 3. click on Add Attachment) all of which has been done whereupon the system reports "sending request to metalworkingfun" and finally the system reports "No file selected".

Can you suggest any reason why the this may be the case? Is the "attachment" process controlled by cookies which may be blocked by some software?

looking forward to resolving this with your assistance.

many thanks, john
Thanks given by:
Sometimes they attach and sometimes they don't sounds like it may be a file size thing. What is the size in MB of the files you're trying to upload? Here are the file size limits per attachment:

bmp, gif: 500K
png: 1.46MB (that's a really odd size)
jpg, jpeg: 2MB

So if your individual files are larger than that, they won't go. Then there's a limit of 15 attachments/post.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
(01-23-2019, 09:08 AM)Vinny Wrote: Sometimes they attach and sometimes they don't sounds like it may be a file size thing.  What is the size in MB of the files you're trying to upload?  Here are the file size limits per attachment:

bmp, gif:  500K
png:  1.46MB  (that's a really odd size)

So if your individual files are larger than that, they won't go.  Then there's a limit of 15 attachments/post.

Yup, it's likely a file size issue. That's the first thing I thought of.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(01-23-2019, 02:20 PM)EdK Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 09:08 AM)Vinny Wrote: Sometimes they attach and sometimes they don't sounds like it may be a file size thing.  What is the size in MB of the files you're trying to upload?  Here are the file size limits per attachment:

bmp, gif:  500K
png:  1.46MB  (that's a really odd size)

So if your individual files are larger than that, they won't go.  Then there's a limit of 15 attachments/post.

Yup, it's likely a file size issue. That's the first thing I thought of.

Ed

Thank you gentlemen, I did find a 2016 post of EdK's which provided the file size limitations however you have now alerted me to the limitation of 15 attachments, I thank you again.

Reading through some old threads is seems many have just stopped trying to upload their pictures.

Perhaps a small amendment to the text at the "Attachments" section may be useful?

The text now states/quote: "You are currently using . . . MB of your allocated attachment usage (Unlimited) [View My Attachments]".

This appears to me (and perhaps others) as rather misleading given we now know there are at least two limitations for attaching said Attachments. Hope this suggestion might bring some back to the fold.
best regards,
john
Thanks given by: