Carport mini shop
This has been in progress for some time but yesterday we hit a milestone; concrete.  My truck is too big to fit in the garage so we decided to add an extension to the driveway and install a prefabricated, free standing carport.  It will be similar to the one in that the neighbor installed on the right side of the wooden fence.

One of the models we looked at had a storage unit on the back end so SWMBO (and I) decided to go this route.  In the pic the 12x18 foot storage unit will sit around a raised "island" to keep water from entering and pooling on the floor.  In front of this mini shop will be a 24 foot long by 18 foot wide carport.  I am going to have to run temporary power for now because of budget constraints.  The "shop" will have an 8' wide garage door and a standard man door that both open to the carport.  The concrete installer blended in a smooth ramp from the carport to the shop to aid in rolling equipment in and out.

I will do my best to keep up with pictures of progress and final completion.  More to follow!

JScott

P.S. That's me in the blue uniform with the green stripes

JScott, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Mar 2014.
Thanks given by:
Nothing more exciting than a new building going up!

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Maybe a little too exciting.  I am being slammed at work and my wife has had to ramrod the details with the contractors regarding things like placement of anchor bolts, coordination of work and deliveries.  There are no doubts now how much she loves me!
Thanks given by:
Maybe, but you still owe her big time. Happyyes
Thanks given by:
Just got a call from the supplier and the building will be delivered Monday.   Thumbsup

Then we need to get the installation scheduled.
Thanks given by:
Here's an update on the carport/shop.  It was delivered this morning and it will be up today.

It came on one trailer with all the parts, siding and roofing.  I added a garage door and a man door but no windows.  The roll up garage door is 8 feet wide and 7 feet tall.

Everything should be complete this afternoon.  Then time to move machines and tool carts!  I'll post pictures of the gates which are to be installed Friday and the shop as I organize it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Good progress!

It's amazing how quickly those prefab buildings go together.

Tom
Thanks given by:
As always, the key is getting the dimensions for the concrete foundation right.  Everything fit nicely and the concrete contractor only missed the location on one anchor bolt.  The building installers cut it off, drilled a new hole and put in an expansion anchor. 

Apparently the supplier forgot to fabricate/ship the gable end of the carport.  SWMBO will sort them out.  It will still be perfectly functional until they send the gable and install it.
Thanks given by:
I was going to comment on the lack of trusses for snow loading, but then realized you are in Louisiana. That structure wouldn't survive the first snowfall up here. Big Grin

Tom
Thanks given by:
Yep. Only hurricanes down here!  Per their specifications this structure is good for 140 mph winds.

Here is the latest picture with the truck parked under cover for the first time since 2016.  I am pretty happy with the building.  Everything fit well and there are some knee braces missing and they forgot to ship the gable end.  Those pieces will ship soon and the installers will come back and finish it.  In the meantime it is perfectly serviceable as is.

In case anyone is interested; 1997 Ford F250 HD 4WD, 7.5 liter gas, extended cab, long bed, camper package, towing package, 119,000 miles.  I purchased the truck new in 1998 and this was the last year for the body style and the 460 cu. in. V8 engine.

Thanks given by: