Quick Question Thread
New Quick Question

What type of steel are End Mill Holders made from?

I find myself needing a 1" and 7/8" holder with a B&S 9 taper. I figure I'd start with a 1 1/2" round and make them. Once I'm set up for the taper I can make 2 or 3, either that or nor bother with the taper and make HR style holders. The HR would actually be easier, It's straight and fits into an existing holder, like the 1 1/4 that I already have. I would just have to mill the flat on it.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
Any steel would work Vinny. I make things like that out of what ever is in the scrap bin. If it was used in an industrial setting you'd want something that could be hardened to resist wear, but for our use, its probably never going to be an issue.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks!!
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
Thanks given by:
According to CNC guy at work, the ones for the CNC are hardened and ground 4140.

Got a stupid look from the shop foreman when I asked about the ones for the Bridgeports.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
If you were buying material for the project I'd recommend prehardened 4140.
Thanks given by:
As it turns out, a couple of years ago I won a auction that had a bunch of 5" long, 2" dia bars of some pretty tough stuff, don't recall the number right now, that would be perfect. I also have some 3" out there but won't need it for this. The problem with the 2" stuff is, where did I put it? They were all in sealed plastic bags with a bunch of large springs. Weather is about to go downhill here so I may climb up on the shelf above me (the shelves are pallet racks) and see if I put them up there in the back.
Thanks given by:
My quick question ... anyone have any experience with a Quorn sharpener they would like to pass on? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks given by:
(10-01-2019, 12:40 PM)Vinny Wrote: The problem with the 2" stuff is, where did I put it?

I'm in the same boat. I have a set of R-8 end mill holders... somewhere. I pulled them out of my 'tooling' cabinet to make room for other 'more often' used items instead, and haven't seen them since - except for the 1/8" end mill holder I always keep in the collet rack with a 1/8" carbide starting drill in it.

They are in a box buried somewhere in my basement, probably along with my vise stops that I can't find either.
Willie
Thanks given by:
Willie: I found the box and in it was only one more of those 2" rounds, but it did come with the number of what it is. It's 2050. I remember having a hard time locating what it was last time I looked.

Arvid: Sorry, never heard of it.
Thanks given by:
(10-01-2019, 12:58 PM)arvidj Wrote: My quick question ... anyone have any experience with a Quorn sharpener they would like to pass on? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Never laid eyes on one but apparently there are a couple of books available across the pond on them.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/quorn/

Looks like a nice bit of kit. Smiley-signs021
Willie
Thanks given by: