Bending Iron
I'm putting the finishing touches on a bending iron I've been working on, so I thought it would be a good time to share.

The iron itself is made from a chunk of aluminum roughly 3" x 5" x 7". A shaper would have been the machine of choice to rough out the airfoil shape, but since I don't have one, multiple passes with a fly cutter got the job done. The finishing was accomplished on the belt sander. There is one 1/4-20 tapped hole in the center for a thermocouple and a couple more for mounting purposes. The cartridge heaters were 12mm in diameter, so I had to wait on a reamer to put the holes in for them. I spaced the iron about 1/4" above the mounting plate on ptfe washers. I'm not sure of the exact operating temperature yet, but they should be good to around 500F. If not, I can always go to a different material. The PID controller and SSR are cheapies off Amazon, but work very well. The whole thing passed the smoke test today and ran up to 250ºF in about three minutes. I suspect it'll need to get up around 400ºF in use, and it doesn't look like that will be a problem. I still have to add a strain relief on the cord and maybe a power switch before buttoning up the enclosure.

Tom

[Image: 20190228_131251.jpg]

[Image: 20190228_142653.jpg]

[Image: 20190228_152131.jpg]

[Image: 20190308_170118.jpg]

[Image: 20190308_170157.jpg]
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
er? Bending WHAT Tom ??????
Andrew Mawson, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Oct 2013.
Thanks given by:
I was wondering the same thing.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
Methinks this has something to do with making a cello.
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
I B curious too .....................
Thanks given by:
It's a tool used by luthiers to bend wood for making stringed instruments. Yes, this one will be used to bend the ribs of a cello.

Tom
Thanks given by:
I'm sure Stradivarius never had anything like that !
Andrew Mawson, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Oct 2013.
Thanks given by:
The idea of making one out of iron and throwing it in the wood fire just didn't appeal to me. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(03-09-2019, 08:08 AM)TomG Wrote: The idea of making one out of iron and throwing it in the wood fire just didn't appeal to me. Big Grin

.... Sez the guy that made his own wood screws from scratch in the past. Chin

Rotfl
Willie
Thanks given by:
Since he retired he has absolutely no sense of adventure.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by: