drum door
I have a double (6ft wide) door on one end of my shop and I'd like to replace it with a drum door.  The opening is 70 1/2" wide by 80 inches high.  I've priced some new drum doors and they sure are pricey.  I do not want to install a regular overhead/garage door as I do not want the track taking up room.

Shipping is also on the high side, $175.00.  The supplier is about 5 hours from here so I could do it in one very long day.

Searches on FleaBay and Search Tempest have been fruitless.

Does anyone have any suggestions such as a freight damaged outlet, or used door supply?

Thanks in advance

Stan
Thanks given by:
A drum door ... you mean one of these?  'cuze according to medicalexpo.com this is a drum door.  Not sure why you'd want it on your shop tho, so I'm thinking you're referring to something else.

[Image: 79432-8413731.jpg]
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
Roller shutter door?

Attached Files
.jpg   Plastic-Roller-Shutter-Door-Bulletproof-Rolling-Shutter.jpg_350x350.jpg (Size: 31.67 KB / Downloads: 69)
Man who say it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?
Thanks given by:
Do you have room for a vertical lift? You could even lift it vertically as high as possible and then go horizontal for the rest.

In my experience the roll up doors aren't very durable for regular use, unless you go to commercial quality.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Admittedly I've only used commercial quality roller shutter doors, over the years I've had ten of them, mostly electric powered. The only time I had a problem was when the Fire Brigade decided they wanted to make a quick entry and hacked their way in !

I personally love them as you don't loose storage space in the eaves behind the door. (The most recently fitted one on my Tractor Shed was so wide it needed special retaining lugs on each leaf to stop the prevailing wind blowing it in!)
Andrew Mawson, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Oct 2013.
Thanks given by:
Hermetic posted the correct image of what I'm looking for.

My opening is 6ft wide by 80 inches high so I want one that can be hand operated.  Plenty of room above the door for the mechanism and I do not want to take up space with the tracks of a overhead/garage door.

I've seen plenty of them at storage rental facilities and one can be sure they are not treated with kid gloves.
Thanks given by:
(03-20-2019, 12:29 PM)TomG Wrote: Do you have room for a vertical lift? You could even lift it vertically as high as possible and then go horizontal for the rest.

In my experience the roll up doors aren't very durable for regular use, unless you go to commercial quality.

Tom

I'd need 160 inches of total height and with 12 ft ceilings I'm short of that.
Thanks given by:
(03-20-2019, 06:34 PM)Dr Stan Wrote: I'd need 160 inches of total height and with 12 ft ceilings I'm short of that.

So make most of the track vertical and the last couple of feet horizontal. The horizontal part would be up against the ceiling. A standard door track can be modified to do that. I know because I modified mine to follow the pitch of the roof. The only thing that would need to change is the springs to accommodate the additional lift.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(03-20-2019, 08:10 PM)TomG Wrote:
(03-20-2019, 06:34 PM)Dr Stan Wrote: I'd need 160 inches of total height and with 12 ft ceilings I'm short of that.

So make most of the track vertical and the last couple of feet horizontal. The horizontal part would be up against the ceiling. A standard door track can be modified to do that. I know because I modified mine to follow the pitch of the roof. The only thing that would need to change is the springs to accommodate the additional lift.

Tom

Now I understand what you're saying.
Thanks given by:
My new mini shop came with a roll up door 8 feet wide and 7 feet tall.  I'll see if I can find a manufacturer label on it.

JScott, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Mar 2014.
Thanks given by: