Had to Acquire A New Drill Doctor
After doing tens of thousands drill bit resharpenings, my trusty Drill Doctor 750X, today decided it had reached its expiration date. The loss was a great catastrophe, it had served me loyally for about 5 years, it set idle on the shelf for weeks, then in a mad rush, resharpen a couple of hundred bits, then the cycle would repeat.  

The motor still runs perfectly, the pivoting mechanism for the sharpening chuck, is completely shot. So I went on a search and acquire mission, my local HD, only had the base unit, but Lowe’s had the middle model, not what I really wanted, but it will suffice, until I can either find a better one or I break down and buy an industrial grade Darex.

I did about 30 drills this late afternoon, the unit works fine. I’m somewhat pissed, the trash collection was this morning, the dead unit, could be in the landfill by now.
jack
Thanks given by:
DAMN IT!! DAMN IT!! After a day away from the problem, I found the issue with the DD750X, it’s fixed and back up and running. So as a seriously wound too tight penguin, I now own 2 Drill Doctors. Instead of doing a thorough investigation, I just ran out and bought another once. <sigh>
jack
Thanks given by:
I actually have two by choice. One has the 100 grit wheel to fix bits I really buggered up and the other has the 180 grit to put the finishing touches on or touch up a bit.
Thanks given by:
(04-04-2019, 05:36 PM)the penguin Wrote: DAMN IT!! DAMN IT!! After a day away from the problem, I found the issue with the DD750X, it’s fixed and back up and running. So as a seriously wound too tight penguin, I now own 2 Drill Doctors. Instead of doing a thorough investigation, I just ran out and bought another once. <sigh>

So what was the issue and what did you do to fix it? Chin

Mine is getting a little long in the tooth as well. Blink
Willie
Thanks given by:
The pivot mechanism was binding. I ran about 250 drill bits through the 750X, over the past two days, I resharpened the entire supply of drill bits in the service van and a few strays in the shop., the 750X work as usual, perfectly.
jack
Thanks given by:
Well maybe I will take mine apart and try lubing the pivot points then. Or let it sit on the healing bench awhile longer. When I first bought it (after the learning curve) it worked a treat. As time went by it started losing it's ability to hold the correct angles for point angle and back rake. I'd hate to toss it out since I invested in one of the left hand drill chucks as well. But I won't buy another plastic machine that is for sure. According to Darex they are only designed to last 5 years anyway.
Willie
Thanks given by:
Just as the fastest way to find something that’s lost in the shop is to buy another one, you can repair things the same way!
Mike

SB 10K (1976) Rockwell vertical mill (1967) Rockwell 17" drill press (1946) Me (1949)
Thanks given by: