Need a How to VFD
(05-15-2019, 02:58 AM)Pete O Wrote: Is this it?
http://www.hclub.ee/download/varia/KOC10...(V1.1).pdf

Yes Pete O that is exactly the one I have. Thanks for posting it for me.
Thanks given by:
(05-15-2019, 02:59 AM)Highpower Wrote: Click on your screen name / avatar, and then click on "User CP" toward the top left of the page. Then go to the "Miscellaneous" drop-down box on the left side of the page and click on "Manage Attachments". Let's make sure your .pdf file is actually in there before we get ahead of ourselves.

Thanks Highpower. I followed your instructions and there is no attachments there.
Thanks given by:
(05-14-2019, 06:50 PM)ltlvt Wrote: I am in desperate need of a "How to program my KCLY model KOC100-1R5S2-B VFD". I have the pdf file and have tried to follow the instructions in the manual but just can't seem to get started. I understand the first step is to input all the information necessary off of the motor plate. But what I need is a  "First Push this button and then push this arrow etc etc."  I have tried and tried and can not seem to get to first base. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to resurrect an old 5913 Clausing lathe that has a 2 hp 3 phase motor on it. I will be using the original hydraulic Reeves drive to vary the speed and the drum switch to change directions of rotation so all I need to do is make the VFD run the motor on 3 phase @ 60 hz. The VFD comes from the factory set up for 50 hz. Thanks again.  Bash

I am writing this based on my experience with Hitachi VFD's and all together too many years being paid to write computer software. Feel free to ignore everything you see here.

I think the first thing to do is dump the drum switch for the direction change, especially if it has a no-direction position between forward and reverse. Two reasons ...

First is that the VFD can do it much better than the drum switch.

Second is that, if I understand how it is set up correctly, your intention would be for the VFD to feed the drum switch and then the drum switch would feed the motor. That means that when you switch directions the connections from the VFD to the motor will be interrupted. The drum switch needs to break the connections to at least one pair of windings, switch them around and then reconnect them. Some VFD's may be tolerant of the motor being disconnected when the VFD is on and others may become upset and let the magic smoke out. It has to do with how the VFD components synthesize the three phase power from a single phase input.

Worse yet is if the VFD is powered up and the drum switch is in the neutral position. Again, it is related to the VFD technology that really does like having motor windings connected to the output.

Now, assuming you have dumped the drum switch, which buttons to push ...

We'll assume that you've followed the instructions as best you can related to Chapter 3, Installation of Frequency Converter. I know section 3.3 suggest lots of parts in the power path but I have several VFD's and only have (a) a circuit breaker [no local to the VFD but the VFD is on a dedicated circuit so the breaker is in the box]; (b) the VFD; © the motor. No AC Contactor, no input AC reactor, no Input AC Noise Filter or DC reactor, no AC noise filters, they all have Braking Resistors on them but that is not necessary to get the boat to float the first time, no Output AC Reactor. In the future ... more CNC tooling, etc. ... I may need to put some of the noise filters in place but for now everything seems to work fine without it.

Moving on to Chapter 4, Operation and Display, or "what buttons to push".

The key appears to be figure 4-3, the PRG/ESC button and keeping track of what level you are at in that diagram. PRG (program) will take you to the right one level, ESC (escape) will take you to the left level, and the arrow keys (increase is the up arrow, decrease is the down arrow) will either move you around at any give level or let you change the value in the display.

Give this a try ...

You are staring with the display showing something. As an example we are going to try and set the b0-02 parameter, Motor Type Selection, from the table at the top of page 36. The first thing we need to do is get to the B0 at level-1. Press the PRG button to go to the right one level. The display should show you where you are on level-1 ... a0, b0, b1, etc. Now use the arrow keys to switch between the items on level-1 until you find the one you are looking for -- b0.

Now press Enter. This should take you into b0 and you should see where you are in level-2 ... b0-01, b0-02, etc. We are looking for b0-02 so use the arrow keys to move thru stuff available in b0 level-2 until you find b0-02. Press enter.

You now use the display should show the current value for the parameter and the arrow keys will be used to change the parameter value. But what does the parameter value mean and what should it be set at. In our example page 37 gives that information. I think we want the parameter value to be 0, keypad control. Use the arrow keys to set the parameter to 0, or do nothing if it is already zero. You can now press Enter to set the value. This should take you back to b0-02, i.e. b0 level-2.

You can now press ESC to escape from b0 level-2 back to b0 level-1 and then ESC to escape from b0 level-1 back to the the main display.

Give that a try and see if that makes sense.

If (a) it actually works and (b) you feel you have a sense on how to navigate the levels you can then move on to advance methods ... not coming all the way back to do the next parameter but rummaging around at level-1 and level-2; using the ESC escape key rather than the ENTER key if the parameter is already set to the value you want, etc.

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?
Arvid
Thanks given by: ltlvt
Thanks I will try to print this page out and take it out to the shop and follow the steps. Once I get the basic information on the motor plate into it then I will try to go further. It does have an auto tune mode. Do you recommend using it or inputting all the info manually. Thanks again. It will be tomorrow or Friday before I get it done because It is gona rain an I have about 2 acres of lawn that I need to mow before it starts raining.
Thanks given by:
Arvid brings up a good point concerning the initial set up of your VFD. It's best to use the controls on the VFD itself to begin with to make sure you can get the motor operating correctly (start/stop, FWD/REV) before moving on. Getting the basic parameters set correctly for the motor to  be able to run at all (and hopefully smoothly) is paramount.

Once you know you can get the motor to run - then you can work on setting up any external controls. You CAN use your original drum switch as a FWD/REV control, but you will need to rewire it as a control input into the VFD itself rather than directly controlling the motor. You can still control the lathe with the drum switch as you would normally - it's just that the VFD will be acting as the middle man. That is how I set up my own lathe when I converted it from single phase. Actually I can easily switch between using my drum switch -or- using the controls on my Hitachi VFD since it has an extra control relay built in that allows me to do that.

If you could post a picture of the entire data plate on your motor and list what your current parameter settings are, that would be a great place to start. If you ever get lost in the weeds fighting with the parameter settings on your VFD it would be best to do a hard reset back to factory defaults on the unit and start over again. All it takes is ONE parameter being set wrong to have you chasing your tail for weeks! Ask me how I know!   Bash

Smiley-gen163
Willie
(05-15-2019, 09:36 PM)ltlvt Wrote: It does have an auto tune mode. Do you recommend using it or inputting all the info manually.

I believe the auto tune is used after you enter the basic motor information into the VFD. I would do it all manually though. You have more control that way.

Ed
I hope you can get your VFD running. I have the same one. It has never worked, even with repeated emails back and forth with their tech dude. He finally stopped responding. I guess it's against their policy to admit they might have sent a bad one.
Mike

If you can't get one, make one.

Hawkeye, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
I am confident it will work once I understand it. I got the part number for it from a man in Florida that has the same one on his Clausing 5914 lathe. He is on the Yahoo Clausing group but I just can not remember his name. If we can crack this thing with the help of all the folks on this forum it will be good for many of us. In my case the author of the manual just provides way too much information for a guy like me. User instructions really do need to be User friendly to all levels of users. . I just keep getting lost between reading and actually trying to program it. I was expecting a plug and play device but not plug and play at all.
Thanks given by:
(05-15-2019, 11:35 PM)ltlvt Wrote: ... I was expecting a plug and play device but not plug and play at all.

I think Plug and Play has some implied requirements that both components have the similar IQ's.

Example ... a wall outlet and a light. Both are pretty dumb. IQ's slightly above zero. Therefore you can plug a dumb light into a dumb wall outlet and play the light and it works.

Example ... a computer and a USB device. Both are pretty smart, IQ's around 100. Therefore you can plug a USB device into a computer, they have a discussion where the computer asks the USB device what it needs to be able to work with it, the USB device responds with driver information, etc., the computer attempts to install the driver and if successful then Bob's you uncle.

Example ... a VFD and a 3 phase motor. The VFD is pretty smart, IQ is around 100. The 3 phase motor is pretty dumb, IQ similar to a rock. Therefore the VFD is not capable of having a "what do I need to know about you to operate effectively" discussion with the motor. Note that this is similar to some of the discussions I have with my wife, with me being the rock in that situation, but I digress.

Anyway, something with an IQ greater than 0 needs to step in and provide the VFD with the information it needs. This is where you come in.

Arvid
Well my friend I hate to argue with you but this is where YOU come in. Without Your help "Me the human Rock" can not communicate with the VFD. Great analysis.
Thanks given by: