drill project
HI all I have bin to my favorite shop today i.e the boot sale and I piked up 4 Morse No1 taper drills one rusty one not to bad and two broken all for the sum of £1 so I decided to do project on them and post with sum pics right pics of the drills before

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
right the first thing to do with the two that is complete is to give them a wire brush and give them a bath in acid all the drills are inch but will be marked up in MM the two that is broken new drill bits will be fitted the drill bit sises is the two complete ones one is 25/64 the other is 13/32 and the two broken ones one is 5/32 and the other one is 15.64 i then unsoldiered the two broken ones and the drills will be repast the 5/32 will be replaced with a 4mm drill and the 15/64 Will be replaced with a 6.3 mm drill right pics

Thanks given by:
Hi
Bob
My favorite shop as wellBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
I buy any Morse taper drills i find You can always use the taper part for something else
I love your paraffin blow lampSmiley-dancenanaSmiley-dancenanaSmiley-dancenana
John
Thanks given by:
right the last bit after letting them cool dawn i pleased them in the acid with the other two to remove the flux residue then after sum time i got them out of the acid and gave them a good scrubbing with running water to remove all the acid then back on to the wire brush then i gave the one that was rusty a coting of rust inhibitor and the others a coting of light machine oil right last pics

Thanks given by:
Bob
What sort of "acid" do you use
John
Thanks given by:
(05-13-2012, 02:37 PM)doubleboost Wrote: Bob
John

I know other Bob but i use Muratic Acid in water in my shop as i have for the last 25 years. Sometimes i use it full strength and it takes just a few minutes then neutralize in baking soda, dry and then oil so it won't re rust or prime and paint...Bob
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Birthplace of the Silver and Deming drill bit.
5 Lathes, SBL Shaper, Lewis Mill, 7 drill presses, 5 welders...
Thanks given by:
hi nothing posh just old car battery acid sulfuric acid
Thanks given by:
Makes a nice job
I like the black finish the rust remover leaves
John
Thanks given by:
(05-13-2012, 02:41 PM)aametalmaster Wrote:
(05-13-2012, 02:37 PM)doubleboost Wrote: Bob
John

I know other Bob but i use Muratic Acid in water in my shop as i have for the last 25 years. Sometimes i use it full strength and it takes just a few minutes then neutralize in baking soda, dry and then oil so it won't re rust or prime and paint...Bob
its nothing posh its old car battery acid
Thanks given by:
yep it dus where off but it stays in the pitting its from toolstashon ther a bit like scrw fix
Thanks given by: