Inexpensive Garage Lights
While I wish I could take credit I can't.  However since I have yet to mount my shop lights these are high on my list of possibilities.  I can get replacement LED bulbs for all my 8ft florescent fixtures for somewhere between $200 & $250.  I need to determine if this route will be cost effective and give me the amount of light I want/need.  I will most likely use this method to light up my 8X12 garden shed, especially since headroom is limited.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Inexpen...dium=email
Thanks given by:
Not sure what to think. I see he is using 3 strips side by side. LEDs I believe have a limited light spread. That is where the reflector of the shop light comes into play.

Do you know you can eliminate the ballast of a shop light, and wire the LED tube straight off the line voltage. 6-7 bucks a tube

Was the way I went, up 2 - 3 years now not one failure of the 30 tubes put up.

Pep

Strips:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/flex...e,136,4627:

Tubes:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-...48,6,11159:
Magazines have issues, everything else has problems

Thanks given by:
(07-07-2019, 09:54 PM)pepi Wrote: ... LEDs I believe have a limited light spread.

The LED's strips you referenced have a 120 degree beam angle. Unlike a florescent tube there is no light off the back so a reflector would have nothing to reflect. Yes, the area above the LED strips will be very dark!!

I went with non-reflector fixtures and LED tubes. The fixture's only purpose in life was to hold the tombstone's 48 inches apart and ensure the LED faced towards the floor.

Arvid
Thanks given by:
Arvid,

My upgrade was to replace the florescent tubes of an every day 4ft fixture. With an led tube, wired around the balliest, leaving it behind.

Was not or did not mean to say, using an everyday shop light and LED tape lights installed would an alternative.

Pep

Thanks given by:
(07-09-2019, 09:29 AM)pepi Wrote: Arvid,

My upgrade was to replace the florescent tubes of an every day 4ft fixture. With an led tube, wired around the balliest, leaving it behind.

Pep

I did the same. Removed the ballasts and re-wired the tombstones. You only need one pin connected at each end of the tube. (power & neutral)
The SuperBrightLED tubes have a 5 year warranty.
Willie
Thanks given by:
The ones I used came from Green Light Depot or something like that. Someone here posted about them and they had some really good prices. Three 4 footers are lighting up the entire shop, then I have another one over the electronic repair bench.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
I posted that. Hard to find the right ones in stock, but they do get them in, and customer service is second to none.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
To be clear ...

I had the advantage of it being new construction so I purchased the cheapest fixtures I could find, tore out the ballasts as the LED tubes I bought were line voltage models, put the bulbs in and called it done.

The tubes had a 120 degree dispersion and that fit very nicely with the fixture splaying each of the the tubes 15 degrees from center.

The fixture did not have a reflector as the tubes do not emit light out the back. As mentioned, the primary functionality provided by the fixtures is to hold the tombstones 48 inches apart.

By the way, if anyone needs 48 unused 2 tube T8 ballasts I know where you can get them.

Arvid
Thanks given by:
(07-09-2019, 08:45 PM)Highpower Wrote:
(07-09-2019, 09:29 AM)pepi Wrote: Arvid,

Pep

I did the same. Removed the ballasts and re-wired the tombstones. You only need one pin connected at each end of the tube. (power & neutral)
The SuperBrightLED tubes have a 5 year warranty.
 ^ Did not know that thanks for saying, not sure I am into tracking warranty for a 6-7 dollar item. I like the company and products, upgraded a 99 truck head, and ditch light with the LEDs they offer recently. Robust assembly, heat sinks and all.

(07-10-2019, 02:29 PM)arvidj Wrote: To be clear ...

I had the advantage of it being new construction so I purchased the cheapest fixtures I could find, tore out the ballasts as the LED tubes I bought were line voltage models, put the bulbs in and called it done.

The tubes had a 120 degree dispersion and that fit very nicely with the fixture splaying each of the the tubes 15 degrees from center.

The fixture did not have a reflector as the tubes do not emit light out the back. As mentioned, the primary functionality provided by the fixtures is to hold the tombstones 48 inches apart.

By the way, if anyone needs 48 unused 2 tube T8 ballasts I know where you can get them.

Arvid

Not sure if we are talking apple too apples, your fixtures have a hood .....?..... that's the reflector....

Being cheap is not a sign of pride, it is a sign of desperation.  

Pep

Thanks given by:
(07-12-2019, 07:07 AM)pepi Wrote: Being cheap is not a sign of pride, it is a sign of desperation.

Really?  Chin
Thanks given by: