Welding/cutting torch packing seals.
(09-07-2019, 11:01 PM)Dr Stan Wrote: YOUZER! Jawdrop

Yeah, that was my reaction too. Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
Just for the record, I wasn't suggesting Delrin as packing.

When you redo an old faucet, you use this rope like stuff that is at least partially Teflon, like the tape (soft). Could you use that? How about just a lot of the Teflon pipe sealing tape? I know I had to get the special yellow stuff for gas lines, which I assume is non flammable.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
No, I figured you were just suggesting something 'softer' than the Teflon you have.  I can guarantee that Lincoln/Harris won't even want to discuss it much less give out any details. Whatever - I've give it a shot with some PTFE and see what happens. I was just hoping someone would spill the secret recipe.   Rotfl

I'm sure they used a solid/molded seal for a reason so I'll stick with that. It definitely has a step in it that seats into a slight counter bore where it threads into the torch body. The material in the new replacement seals (valve stem assemblies) are a dark brown / almost black color. Just wish I knew what it is...

Willie
Thanks given by:
I believe the stuff rleete was referring to is called "Sealing Rope". I bought some years back for a boiler pump. Lasted a few years till I replaced the pump and motor. I don't recall what it was made of tho. But it was white.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
Yeah, the old stuff was graphite impregnated, now I guess they've gone to Teflon. While it might be great for plumbing I don't know that I would trust it for compressed gases since there will always be gaps somewhere between. They used to use rope seals for the ends of crankshafts in cars. (Main seal & harmonic dampener) Fine when they were new, but get a few miles on them and they would shrink... Bleh

Glad those days are over. Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by: