Part support while milling
What does one use to shim under a flat part when edge milling on a rotary rable?

Don't want to gouge the table inadvertently.
Thanks given by:
MDF or other fairly 'precise' particle board makes a good sacrificial backing.
Mike

If you can't get one, make one.

Hawkeye, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
Or make a fixture plate (aluminum is popular) that will screw to your rotary table and you have a clean flat surface that you can drill and tap anywhere you want for clamping plates. You can cut into it many times without harming the tables surface, and once it gets too chewed up you can mill the top of the plate flat again. Or just make another one.

Size and shape to your desire. Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiRoeOop1v4
Willie
Thanks given by:
I will second the sacrificial aluminum top plate.

Make it thick enough to recess the screws (I use button head) and also give some room to fly cut it once it starts getting cut up too much. I started with a chunk of 1/2", a few years ago, and I will get at least a couple more before I have to replace it.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by: Paulc
Thanks. All great ideas to try out.
Thanks given by:
I just compared some prices of 12x12x0.5" flat 60611-T651 plate. Speedy is about $54. Xometry is $27 !!!
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
They also do custom shapes now too - squares with holes, flanges with holes, rings, etc. Don't know what the prices are for this but could be interesting.
Thanks given by:
How are their shipping rates?

Their 25 lb box of mixed remnants (plate & round bar) looks interesting for $55.
Willie
Thanks given by:
(10-23-2019, 07:35 PM)Highpower Wrote: How are their shipping rates?

Their 25 lb box of mixed remnants (plate & round bar) looks interesting for $55.

Not sure about the box, but all other aluminum stock is free shipping in the US
Thanks given by: Highpower
I used tempered hardboard. It's cheap, readily available, and and easy to shape or pop holes in to clear the bolts.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by: