Part support while milling
(10-23-2019, 02:40 PM)Vinny Wrote: I just compared some prices of 12x12x0.5" flat 60611-T651 plate.  Speedy is about $54. Xometry is $27 !!!

I just checked McMaster and they are close to Xometry. $29.53 No free shipping though. Sign0147

I used to love Speedy way back when they had reasonable prices and shipping, but then they started mirroring Metal Supermarkets and doubled their prices and shipping fees.
Willie
Thanks given by:
With Speedy, if you call sales and place your order the prices are CONSIDERABLY lower. Shipping still sux tho. I had ordered some 1/8" thick 3-1/2 x 48" from Xometry, it was about $14 (for 2) after the discount and shipping was free. It showed up today. Well packed, shipped FedEx ground. Was here at 8:30 this am. I have a couple of mobile antenna mounts to make, the needed endmill is due here tomorrow.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by: Highpower
Good to know. Looks like I'll have to give Xometry a shot sometime. Would be nice if they had a larger selection of materials but then I suppose the prices wouldn't be as good.

Re: Speedy - I just don't get the difference in pricing between ordering on-line vs. calling them on the phone. It used to be I could order on-line (and not take up an employees time) and it would be on my doorstep 2 days later, and at a decent price. I miss those days.
Willie
Thanks given by:
They explained to me that steel prices fluctuate too much to constantly update the website, the website is also more of a convenience thing.

One thing I noticed, there is a speedy not far from a place I use when I buy metal locally. Their prices are also different from both the website and when you call in the order due to local buy prices. What pissed me off, and I haven't dealt with them since, I got two different prices for the same metal from two different people there. Their mail server went down after I inquired and I didn't get the price before going there. I got there and paid for the metal. Got home and saw the price the other person sent me, it was about $5 less than what I was charged. Grrrrr.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
(10-24-2019, 11:13 PM)Vinny Wrote: They explained to me that steel prices fluctuate too much to constantly update the website, the website is also more of a convenience thing.  

That makes sense I guess. Funny that McMaster seems to be able to keep up with the prices on the zillions of items they have on their web site though.   Chin

(10-24-2019, 11:13 PM)Vinny Wrote: One thing I noticed, there is a speedy not far from a place I use when I buy metal locally.  Their prices are also different from both the website and when you call in the order due to local buy prices.  What pissed me off, and I haven't dealt with them since, I got two different prices for the same metal from two different people there.   Their mail server went down after I inquired and I didn't get the price before going there.  I got there and paid for the metal.  Got home and saw the price the other person sent me, it was about $5 less than what I was charged.   Grrrrr.

Same thing for me when I tried dealing with a local Metal Supermarkets here. Prices at the store were always higher that what was shown on the web site. I priced a sheet of 1/4" x 4' x 8' steel on their web site and then drove to the store to pick it up. They charged me nearly DOUBLE the price shown on the web site. After I got home I sat down at the computer again to see what the total would be if I had just ordered it off of the web site. The total cost with shipping it to my door was exactly what they charged me for picking it up myself at the store!   Yikes

Never went back there again and will never order from them in the future. Roughly a year or so later the local store was no longer there. Gee, I wonder why?   Rolleyes  Good riddance.
Willie
Thanks given by:
Up here its the opposite, online prices are way higher than the store charges.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(10-25-2019, 02:01 PM)f350ca Wrote: Up here its the opposite, online prices are way higher than the store charges.

Greg, what if you have an account with them that you log into? Any difference?

I know the usual suspects (MSC, Travers, Grainger, etc.) all have sky high prices showing on their web sites until you log in, and then you see the 'real' prices. Just wondering if your metal supply is the same way. Chin
Willie
Thanks given by:
Don't see anywhere to log in on the site Willie. Maybe thats the difference.
Not impressed with them as of late. Needed some 2 1/4 x 1 1/2 660 bronze to rebush a small excavator. All they had was 2 1/2 solid, $158 for 6 inches, also needed 40mm ground and polished shaft for the pin, didn't have it in stock, $92 to order in a foot by Tuesday or Wednesday got a call today, won't be here till Monday
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
I know what you mean. Either they don't have the alloy you want, or the size you want it to be. What they have will be too big or too small in the ID or the OD. Just for grins I looked at a couple of places and found 660 tube but all they had was 1-3/4" ID. Doesn't do you any good when you need a inch and a half eh? That is my kind of luck.

Could be worse I guess. You could be living in California and probably wouldn't be allowed to buy 660 anyway. I'm sure the lead in it causes cancer there... Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
(10-22-2019, 09:17 PM)Paulc Wrote: What does one use to shim under a flat part when edge milling on a rotary rable?

Don't want to gouge the table inadvertently.

So how's it been going with the new rotary table Paul? Been having too much fun with it to talk about it? Smile

Would love to see some pictures of the project(s) you are working on. We're like that. Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by: