Small header soldering
I like to play with Arduino and the multitudes of modules that can be used with them.
I ordered some mini nRF24L01 wireless modules to experiment with wireless control projects. The modules I received do not have headers on them. The holes for the headers are too close together for standard .100" header pins. I think Dupont type jumper wires could be cut in half and soldered to the module.
Though I taught "High Reliability Soldering", and multi-layer circuit board repair in the USAF many years ago, I am not set up for such tiny soldering.
Is there anyone here near Kingsport, TN., that could solder these modules for me?
Micromark 7x14 Lathe, X2 Mill , old Green 4x6 bandsaw
The difficult takes me a while, the impossible takes a little longer.
Thanks given by:
(11-03-2019, 08:46 AM)chucketn Wrote: I like to play with Arduino and the multitudes of modules that can be used with them.
I ordered some mini nRF24L01 wireless modules to experiment with wireless control projects. The modules I received do not have headers on them. The holes for the headers are too close together for standard .100" header pins. I think Dupont type jumper wires could be cut in half and soldered to the module.
Though I taught "High Reliability Soldering", and multi-layer circuit board repair in the USAF many years ago, I am not set up for such tiny soldering.
Is there anyone here near Kingsport, TN., that could solder these modules for me?

Could you post a picture? I'd be willing to do it if you want to send them to me in Arizona.
The headers are probably 2mm vs 2.54mm for the .100" headers.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I am Arduino illiterate so dumb question, but why can't you just use smaller header pins? 1.27mm pitch?

Or do these have to plug into a standard .100" header? If so why on earth would they design it otherwise? 17428
Willie
Thanks given by:
If this drawing is accurate then that connector is custom. I can't find any headers with a 2.46mm pitch. 2.50mm is the closest I've seen.

Ed

Thanks given by:
I guess I was looking at the wrong version...   Blush

[Image: s-l400.jpg]
Willie
Thanks given by:
(11-03-2019, 01:23 PM)Highpower Wrote: I guess I was looking at the wrong version...   Blush

[Image: s-l400.jpg]

That's the one I'm talking about. A standard header strip hits every other hole. I suppose I should just suck it up and order some like EdK posted. I was hoping there was someone close with the equipment, better eyes, and steadier hands. Nearly 40 years ago I could have done the job myself with the equipment I had in my classroom. LOL, reinforces the postulates "Buyer Beware", and check the data sheet before ordering...
Thanks given by:
(11-03-2019, 11:17 AM)EdK Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 08:46 AM)chucketn Wrote: I like to play with Arduino and the multitudes of modules that can be used with them.

Could you post a picture? I'd be willing to do it if you want to send them to me in Arizona.
The headers are probably 2mm vs 2.54mm for the .100" headers.

Ed

LOL, it'd be cheaper to order the ones with the headers already on... But, thanks for the offer, Ed.
Thanks given by:
1.27mm are quite common.

https://www.digikey.com/en/product-highl...nd-sockets
https://www.mouser.com/Connectors/Header...o9Z1yzv7x2
https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-1...eader.html

I didn't check ebay or amazon, but there are prolly a number of listings there too.
Logan 200, Clarke 7x12, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, ...
Thanks given by:
(11-03-2019, 04:41 PM)chucketn Wrote: I suppose I should just suck it up and order some like EdK posted.

But you'll have a hell of a time finding mating connectors to those 2.46mm headers.

Ed
Thanks given by:
2.54 connectors should plug in. We're only talking .004" difference and it's only 4 pins. MPJA has 12" 2x4 female-female jumpers for $1.35.

I thought I recalled seeing a board with the same type of end as Chuck's boards. I have a couple of Bluetooth transceivers that have those ends. They're designed to solder right to another board. Set it on top and when heated the solder will flow thru the plated connector end and onto the other board. Simple huh? Took me 2 hours to solder the 30 some connections. First it wouldn't flow, then it would overflow. Then get the solder sucker out. Lather, rinse, repeat. Lining it all up was a giant PITA as well.
Logan 200, Clarke 7x12, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, ...
Thanks given by: