Help Where does this wire go - electric motor
I have this motor off my pillar drill. Even though it would work on the run cycle it would not start without help. On inspection I can see the loose wire in there on what I guess is the start circuit.

It looks like it may go to the hole to the right of centre but I wonder if someone could please advise.

Thanks, Daniel

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GenL4rHtAgPXmPXS7
Thanks given by:
Daniel,

Guess on my part so take it for what it is worth ...

Think of the mechanism as a switch to assist in starting. It may be connected to "the starting capacitor". When you look at it there is a wire on the left that is connected to the strapping. The electrical current flows down the strap, around the corner and then back up the strap to a set of contacts in the center. The strap is the bottom side of the switch contact and the top of the switch contact is the "thing" [the L shaped do-dad with a small blind hole where the contact is, then a bend, then another bend and then riveted to phenolic insulator] to the left.

The switch is probably closed when the motor is not running and alters the electrical path in a way that will make the motor start but this path is not conducive to smooth high speed operation. After the motor goes past a certain speed the mechanism will move enough to open the contact and alter the circuit so it runs better at high speed.

[big guess starts here]
But the wire that connects to the "thing" that completes the starting circuit seems to have gone walk-about. Rather than be connected to the "thing" it seems to be just hanging there doing nothing.

Note that this is 100% speculation on my part so much closer inspection on your part will be required, but at least it is a place to start.

Arvid
Thanks given by:
(12-29-2019, 06:15 AM)Dan Boy Wrote: It looks like it may go to the hole to the right of centre but I wonder if someone could please advise.

That would me my guess also. Note the word "guess". Chin

Ed
Thanks given by:
Yes, it goes in the hole just to the right of the contacts in the centre of the picture, this is the connection through the centrifugal switch, which opens when the motor gets up to speed. You can see the remains of the solder on the rivet!
hermetic, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Nov 2012.
Thanks given by:
I agree with all the above. The rivet in the circle is where the wire appears to have broken away from. Check for continuity between the two rivets marked and I'm sure you will find them connected electrically through the bracket below to the other switch contact in the center. Clean it all up and re-solder the wire. While you are at it, now would be a good time to test the start capacitor too before putting the motor back in place.  Smiley-gen163

On a side note, the switch assembly is sitting upside down on the motor shaft. I assume you did this just to get the picture of the wires, yes?
Willie
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm glad my first thoughts were correct and I'm sorry if it seemed like an obvious answer to some but if you don't know it's best to ask.

Willie, you are correct in that I have just positioned the switch there to take the photo, it does sit the other way round.

Thanks, Daniel.
Thanks given by:
No reason to be sorry Daniel. A big reason we all hang out here together is to pick each others brains and ask questions from time to time so that we can hopefully head off any mistakes before we make them. Smile
Willie
Thanks given by: