Boring tapered hole
Yes and yes.
Also, the depth of the flat is critical. It must be as close to the center line as possible.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
This sounds like the way to go as turning the taper on a lathe would involve a very small boring bar to be able to reach the smallest diameter of the taper.
Here are a couple of photos of the cartridge

Thanks given by:
here's some dimensions of the cartridge

.pdf   cartridge dimensions.pdf (Size: 933.91 KB / Downloads: 4)
Thanks given by:
How about a tapered endmill?
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
(01-22-2020, 09:38 AM)Vinny Wrote: How about a tapered endmill?

(01-19-2020, 01:02 PM)Highpower Wrote: Paul, were you able to find any dimensioned drawings for this? Just wondering if you are wanting to duplicate the original breach block dimensions, or are you sizing it to fit modern day replica cartridge case dimensions? I've read that the newer cases with a flat bottom on them are too long to chamber in original breach blocks, as oppose to cases with the dished bottom for the flash hole.

Pricey but could do the job of i can find the correct size Jawdrop
Thanks given by:
I think the d bit would be the way to go to form the chamber in the breech block. I have a drawing of one that Brian Rupnow designed that looks adaptable.
Also mulling the idea of casting the breech block in silicon bronze as well as the lever components.
Not exactly authentic, but I'm only going for a replica shooter anyway.
I think casting these parts and finishing them would be simpler than machining entirely from bar stock.
Thanks given by:
(01-22-2020, 09:38 AM)Vinny Wrote: How about a tapered endmill?

A tapered reamer would probably work better.  If you know someone with a T&C grinder it shouldn't be too difficult to modify a machine reamer to the appropriate taper.
Thanks given by:
I am sorry I don't know what machinery you have to work with.

I have made some chambering reamers using HSS drill blanks..I keep them in stock from 1/4 inch to 3/4 inch dia and 6 inch long.. Grind them to correct size/taper with surface grinder using H-46 grinding wheel......Then cut 4 flutes with a carbide endmill - take it to full depth on each flute with a single pass and it works well. Then relieve the edges with a die grinder. Finish with a diamond hone. Works very well. Nothing difficult , take your time to do it right.
Thanks given by:
Now I would like to see a casting made to net size with an acceptable cartridge chamber because I have been casting non ferrous metals for 20 years and I would not be able to do it. I would like to see it done Smiley-eatdrink004
Thanks given by:
Guys  Please don't get the impression that I think I know it all or anything for that matter. Tom here built a Stevens Favorite , I built 3 of them in 3 weeks a year or so before he built his. He did a better job by far because he has the skills and took his time.. . I am a tool and die maker by trade but I work very fast. My job depended on it..And I have built some stinkers.. Now I cant work at all,because cancer is messing with me just enjoy watching  others working. 

I have a few more rifles to finish before I lock up the shop forever.
  Yeah 4 lathes, a heat treating furnace and a hardness tester. Welders of every kind, 60 ton punch press,2  cnc mills and a manual mill, surface grinder and a tool grinder.Plus I have a large plastic injection molding machine. I am not an expert at anything but I am not a rookie either.

I wake up and try not to vomit every single morning. I was fine just 3 years ago.
Thanks given by: