Clamp type knurling tool question.
I can't seem to figure this one out, so please splain it to me.

What is the difference between a LH / Center / or RH tool shank on a knurling tool?
From this diagram it looks like the only difference is where the pivot point is in relation to the tool shank. Either above, centered or below the center height of the shank. How does that change what 'hand' the tool is. I don't get it. What am I missing?  Smiley-think005

I could see if the knurl wheels were located on one side of the tool or the other, but they all look like the sit in the center of the jaws/tool body.

Willie
Thanks given by:
Looks like the shank is mounted on one side of the tool or the other to allow clearance to a shoulder. The drawing is about as clear as mud. 17428

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
If you knurl normally, ie, from the front of the toolpost, you want your tool with a RH shank - that is, the mounting shank is on the RIGHT when you view it from an operator's viewpoint. For access to work close to the headstock, the knurls are mounted on the left outside of the tool.

If you knurl abnormally, ie, from a toolpost mounted behind the work, you want a tool with a LH shank (a complete mirror of the normal RH tool). For access to work close to the headstock, the knurls are mounted on the right outside of the tool.

The center is a generalized compromise, with the knurls close to the center of the holder.

The round seems to just be a round mounting shaft that extends perpendicular to the knurl holders (parallel to the work) instead of a square shank that is perpendicular to the work.
Thanks given by:
I'm trying to figure out what a 'center' (scissors type) knurling tool looks like. I've seen plenty of the cheap clamp type(?) knurling tools that have the shank coming straight out the back centered with the knurls, but can't seem to find a picture of the scissors type. ALL the listings I've seen show the same picture of a RH shank no matter what, even if the descriptions say it's a center or LH tool. I've been trying to find pictures of each to see the actual difference between them but coming up empty. And that just drives me (more) nuts!  Big Grin

As far as LH v. RH... if you just move the shank to the other side of the scissors (or simply turn the tool upside down in the holder) what is the difference? Why make separate tools (LH/RH)?

Update: I gave up on trying to get a look at a center shank version of one of these tools. Even though the company lists them in their product sheets I couldn't find one distributor that offers center or LH shanks in their own catalogs for a manual machine. Only RH tools. Oh well. I hope it works out.
Willie
Thanks given by:
Ordered one of these from MSC over a week ago. Estimated ship date given was the following day after I placed the order. It's been radio silence ever since. I contacted MSC today asking what's up? They say it's being drop shipped from the Eagle Rock factory (I already knew that) and now it's going to be a 4 week lead time. After doing some digging on the net, it seems this company doesn't produce any of their products until after they are ordered. One guy wrote that it took them 7 weeks before he got the one he ordered. Now I know why it is so hard to find anyplace that wants to "sell" them. Lesson learned.

Contrast that with the extra knurling wheels I ordered from Accu Trak a day after I ordered the tool from MSC. Accu Trak had them at my doorstep 2 days later. I think I may just did cancel the MSC order and order the Accu Trak tool instead. It shipped the same day. Built like a tank and less expensive too.
Willie
Thanks given by: