Burnside build
So here's the start of my Burnside carbine build.
Acquired a receiver and barrel so the hardest parts are already done.
Bore needs a bit of a cleaning but in general looks very good considering its age.

Attachment is just the breechblock so far, not yet dimensioned but full sized.
Will probably have to break up the drawing into several separate sheets of different views since there are so many details to dimension.

Attached Files
.pdf   breech block (no dims).pdf (Size: 73.58 KB / Downloads: 27)
Thanks given by:
Sounds like a fun project.

You can always sleeve the bore if it's too bad.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Bore actually is quite good, just needs a good cleaning.
I'll probably use Sharps lock parts from Dixie as well as the Sharps lock is very similar to the Burnside's. There are a few fiddly parts that could be made the innards will not be seen and I'm not going for an absolute reproduction.
Thanks given by:
(02-05-2020, 03:23 PM)Paulc Wrote: Bore actually is quite good, just needs a good cleaning.
I'll probably use Sharps lock parts from Dixie as well as the Sharps lock is very similar to the Burnside's. There are a few fiddly parts that could be made the innards will not be seen and I'm not going for an absolute reproduction.

I did want to build a Burnside but I got sick with cancer and have no energy or brain to work with. I have built more than 30 rifles and handguns.. One of the best hobbies I ever had and to win a shooting match with what you have built yourself is an awesome experience that I wish everybody could have. I very much want to see this job in progress and I'll keep coming back to this forum if work on the Burnside continues.
  Steven
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the encouragement and the project will definitely continue.
 I'll be posting progress when there's something of interest.
Thanks given by:
(02-06-2020, 02:53 PM)ALPHAWOLF45 Wrote: One of the best hobbies I ever had and to win a shooting match with what you have built yourself is an awesome experience that I wish everybody could have.

Welcome to the forum Steven. Smiley-signs046

And I agree it is very satisfying to create something with your own two hands and be able to put it through it's paces. It is a good feeling indeed.
Willie
Thanks given by:
Welcome to the forum Steven!!!
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
(02-06-2020, 07:42 PM)Highpower Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 02:53 PM)ALPHAWOLF45 Wrote: One of the best hobbies I ever had and to win a shooting match with what you have built yourself is an awesome experience that I wish everybody could have.

Welcome to the forum Steven.  Smiley-signs046

And I agree it is very satisfying to create something with your own two hands and be able to put it through it's paces. It is a good feeling indeed.

May I say thanks for the warm reception. Rotfl 
  There were dozens of breech loading rifles during the American civil war and they were all interesting. I built a few. I didn't get around to building a Burnside.. This is a special thread.
Thanks given by:
Thought I should update this thread too.

Still working on the drawings. 
Have most of them finished, doing custom screws now. Need those for the existing holes in the receiver which are oddball threads, close to SAE but a tad looser.

Also researching casting as I'm thinking of casting the lever parts, trigger and breech block parts from silicon bronze. Should be plenty strong since this is a black powder gun.
Probably try lost wax investment casting as I've done lost foam aluminum casting in the past.
Thanks given by:
Sure try everything, You may come up with something few or none of us has ever tried.
Thanks given by: