My first lowwall build

Scuse me as I figure out how to post pictures . I've built 30 plus rifles and handguns over the last 20 years. The Winchester 1885 Low wall and the Highwall have been most difficult for me. The story behind  this one is that it is a copy of a rifle I inherited from my grandfather. This was just my 4th rifle I built...I took his rifle apart , examined the parts ,told myself that was more work than I was ready for so I boxed up the parts they sat in the box for 2 years . I found this old picture showing how I threaded the barrel hole and I cant fathom why I did it that way . Since then I've always drilled and tapped in the milling machine.

Thanks given by:
Well I did get better and built nicer rifles. This one I showed was built for .45 long colt. I have never taken it to the gun club as there is no competition that I can use it in. My built for competion rifles are nicer. My .45-70 black powder rifle - a Highwall with double set triggers- Causes quite a stir at a match. I had one young couple walk up to me and he told me that it was the purtiest rifle he had ever seen in his life....Given that I am fighting off two kinds of cancer , one shooting buddy has asked to inherit that rifle when I croak. ...Sorry I think that is really funny.
Thanks given by:
    [attachment=16551][attachment=16551]        
 Here is my homebuilt copy of a .22 Marlin model 1892 , copied from yet another rifle I inherited from my Grandfather.. When I feel good I shoot this one in 4 different matches . This is an early picture as it now wears a rear peep and a front globe sight.

I built this rifle in 2 weeks including casting the bronze butt plate. Then I spent 2 months getting it to work flawlessly for competition.
  2 of my favorite matches are offhand at 40 , 50 , 75 and 100 yards against persons using scoped .22s. Winning against scoped rifles with their aftermarket replacement triggers and spacegun stocks makes me grin inside.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Want to mention that as designed the 1892 I built has a breechblock that cant tolerate Hi-Speed ammo. It will break.. Those brown parts you see in the picture are A-2 tool steel hardened and tempered. Later when I rebuilt the original 1892 I used S-7 tool steel and redesigned the breechblock so it has more steel in the critical areas. Also I relined it's barrel. Yet I have an issue with it that makes me uncomfortable , The rifle didn't come with a cartridge stop and it needs one to be reliable- worn as it is. That means I will have to mill a slot inside it and drill and tap a hole thru the side. I hate to do that to my old firearm.
Thanks given by:
(02-24-2020, 03:24 PM)ALPHAWOLF45 Wrote: Want to mention that as designed the 1892 I built has a breechblock that cant tolerate Hi-Speed ammo. It will break.. Those brown parts you see in the picture are A-2 tool steel hardened and tempered. Later when I rebuilt the original 1892 I used S-7 tool steel and redesigned the breechblock so it has more steel in the critical areas. Also I relined it's barrel. Yet I have an issue with it that makes me uncomfortable , The rifle didn't come with a cartridge stop and it needs one to be reliable- worn as it is. That means I will have to mill a slot inside it and drill and tap a hole thru the side. I hate to do that to my old firearm.

Okay so not much interest in firearms on this forum I also have a very rare modle 1888 Marlin in .32-20 , made for just one year that I rebuilt and a model Marlin 1889 Marlin that I scratch built in .25-20 for competition. In fact when Mom died of Cancer and a month later I was biopsied to prove I have that same cancer , I jumped on finishing the 1889 because I knew that nobody I knew could complete that rifle and it would go into the garbage..The pictures of it are not on this computer.I'd dig out the other computer to show it if anybody cared. It is likely my best work.

Understand as I do that whatever project you do there is somebody that could do it better. The pictures that I or somebody else shares are just for inspiration , just to show what can be done and you can do it too. Have fun.
Thanks given by:
Let me brag a little bit. I showed up to a competition with a firearm I was building . It is what might best be called a tube gun. Sorry I don't have pictures... I needed a magazine fed .22 rifle for a particular match and so I built a rifle upper to mate with my ruger pistol and mounted a cheap holographic sight on it. During practice I fired off 5 misses - the rifle was not sighted in.. At the 6th shot I hit the target and  immediately pulled across and knocked my 5 targets down... That was 5 targets the size of apples at 40 yards in 2 seconds. Everybody came running over as they had never heard such a thing. Pure luck on my part but I will take it. Rotfl

I should mention that my Ruger pistols are highly modified.. Only the rankest newb goes to a match with an off the shelf firearm.. I shoot 3/4 inch groups from 60 foot in my shop when I am wobbly from rum.. You have a good firearm the battle is at least half won... And some luck and a good day and youre golden.
Thanks given by:
I appreciate the likes. Apparently this isn't the forum for comments .Dont think it is worth my time to find other pictures... I have done many other projects, more than firearms.. Nobody interested unless it is from an old member? I quit. Moderator please ban me.
Thanks given by:
Alphawolf, you should go over to weaponsquild and join. there are many over there who would enjoy your work, myself included.
Thanks given by: