lathe cutting tools choice...
Hi all. For years I’ve turned clock and pocket watch parts on a Swiss made 'Favorite' watchmakers precision bow lathe. A few weeks ago I bought an Axminster/Sieg C1 lathe. I live in an apartment and have a small 8’x8’ workshop which is quite comfortable and has the added bonus of north light. As I don’t really have the facility to grind cutting tools due to dust and noise I’d like your advice as to which of the alternatives below you think I should go with.
1.Brazed carbide lathe turning tool bits.
2. Indexable lathe tools.
3. Buy readymade HSS tool bits.
I’ll be turning: Brass (mostly). Aluminium/Aluminum. Silver steel.  

All the best.

oopsdamnohbotherouch!
Thanks given by:
For cost and versatility, HSS would be my first choice for aluminum, but even if you buy ready made tool bits, you'll still need to sharpen them. Tool bits that small aren't going to create much noise or dust or noise, so you may want to reconsider your options. A back-up plan would be carbide inserts, but they and the tooling to hold them can get quite expensive. If you go that route, be sure to choose insert grades specifically designed for aluminum.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
I'd just repeat what Tom said.  Go with HSS.  If you hone your cutting tools before each use you will reduce the amount of grinding required to keep them in shape.

I do suggest finding an association of like minded individuals an see if there is someone who will allow you to use his/her equipment to sharpen your cutting tools.  There are a few members of Metal Working in the UK.  I'd see just how far away they are and if they would be willing to help.  Another possibility would be to locate a technical school where you can sweat talk the instructor into allowing you to sharpen your cutting tools in their facility.

One more thing to consider is installing dust collection equipment that you can make using a modified shop vacuum cleaner.  It could be mounted up high near the ceiling to reduce the amount of floor space it would consume. You should be able to conduct a search for plans to make the dust collector.
Thanks given by:
I'm pretty sure there's a US company that sells indexable HSS tooling. Maybe that would be the way to go?
Thanks given by:
(06-24-2020, 02:32 PM)MikeWi Wrote: I'm pretty sure there's a US company that sells indexable HSS tooling. Maybe that would be the way to go?

Maybe Arthur R. Warner Co.?
Thanks given by: