Drill Sharpening
Any one have a drill doctor?

DaveH
Thanks given by:
(02-18-2012, 10:07 AM)DaveH Wrote: Any one have a drill doctor?

DaveH
I've got one. I like it well enough. It would be much nicer to have one of the professional (steel) models though. $$$$

Willie
Thanks given by:
I agree with Willie. I have the DX750 and it works fine for me but it's made mostly of plastic. I've never had any luck using the split point feature because the plastic case flexes too much. I'd like to find a production grade sharpener on craigslist but it would have to go for less than $150 for me to justify considering one. I can buy a fair amount of drill bits for $150.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Often thought about one, not a professional, even the normal home use ones are expensive here. On a simple exchange about double:huh::huh::huh:

I have to pay for the shipping and such, but I think the "mark up" is a little steep.

DaveH
Thanks given by:
+1 on the Drill Doctor and very limited experience but they were similar to Ed's with the split point feature.

I will suggest that it took me a while to figure out how to use it to get good results. I am assuming the split point may be a similar "have not figured it out yet" operatir issue but I've just not had real need to spend the time to work thru it.
Thanks given by:
(02-18-2012, 10:36 AM)arvidj Wrote: +1 on the Drill Doctor and very limited experience but they were similar to Ed's with the split point feature.

I will suggest that it took me a while to figure out how to use it to get good results. I am assuming the split point may be a similar "have not figured it out yet" operatir issue but I've just not had real need to spend the time to work thru it.
I want to build one like the HSM article last month. tom
Logan 10x26" lathe
SIEG 12x40" lathe
RongFU 45 clone mill
6" import band saw
Baldor Grinder
thousand of tools+tooling pieces 40 yrs of collecting
Thanks given by:
(02-18-2012, 01:50 PM)TOM REED Wrote:
(02-18-2012, 10:36 AM)arvidj Wrote: +1 on the Drill Doctor and very limited experience but they were similar to Ed's with the split point feature.

I want to build one like the HSM article last month. tom

Tom,

I had completely forgotten about that article. (I've been slightly preoccupied lately.)Rolleyes That would make a good project to tackle as a group. Maybe we could get enough people interested in building some in tandem. Just a thought.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I have one, got it last birthday. I commented to the kids my eyes were no longer up to the task of sharpening my smaller bits and voila, now I have a drill doctor and quite happy about it.Big Grin

Jerry.Cool
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
I just bought a LH chuck for mine. I never even knew they existed until about a month ago. Blush

I'm glad I didn't throw away all of the left handed bits I've dulled over the years. Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
What's a LH drill bit for? Drilling on the other side? Like the nails with the heads on the wrong end are for the ofher side of the house? LOL- Sorry, couldn't help meself!

Chuck
Thanks given by: