Drill Sharpening
The 3 equals - from my 1st year apprentice days

1) Equal Angles - As you hold the drill in front of you the two sloping edges must be equal about the centre of the drill bit.

2) Equal length - the cutting edges must be equal in length.

3) Equal backing off - the part that slopes away from the cutting edge, clearance if you like. The amount that slopes away must be equal on both sides.

The most common problem in hand grinding drills is it becomes too pointed.
The second common problem is there is no enough backing off - clearance.

It is one of these things that needs some one to show how it is done and to point out any mistakes. ( show me again) Then it is just a case of practice.
:)
DaveH
Thanks given by:
The drill gauge certainly helps with points 1 and 2. Point 3 appears to be in the roll of the wrist. Of course, getting them all at the same time is the problem!
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
HI one of the things i have manige to retane is haw to sharpen a drill by hand on a bench grinder but that bin sed ther is plenty of good cheep drill bits to by say up to 6MM and abuve I have a full set of drills starting off at 1MM and gowing up to 13MM in .1MM steps you can get hold of the comen sise rather cepley and the hard to find ones on fleebay I find it more convenent to just keep tuching up the sharpnes of the drill than leting it go to blunt and if im not shuwher if the drill is ok i just bin it RS is a good place for drill bits but im well in thers a B&D factory not that far a way and they have a shop open to the public and can pik a hand full of drill bits for next to nothing
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Bob,

You're right there it is much easier to just 'touch them up' Smile Just a light touch on the wheel is sometimes all that is needed
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Pixman probably has the most important tool of all...
The Spousal Tool. It can be finicky and difficult to work with, but once mastered, can aid in more tool purchases. I actually just learned about this tool today reading the archives of a machining club in TX.
Alan

Quote:The PixMan gets ALL the cool toys.... Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Thanks given by:
For proper grinding I use this little tool.

But when I'm in a rush I just eyeball the drill.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
I recently bought the small drill doctor. It was an eBay purchase, and I fully expected it to be junk, considering it was less then $35 shipped.

I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked, how easy it was to get a good point, and how quiet it is. I took a nearly worthless 1/4" bit and with a couple quick turns had a drill sharper than new, which cut straight without any wandering. The machine came with a bunch of rings that are apparently some sort of adapters, but there is nothing in the instructions about them. I assume they are for split points. There is a VHS tape included that I haven't watched yet. That may shed some light on the rings and their use.

Since I got the model 350, it only goes up to 3/8" bits. However, I rarely use anything over that, so I'm fine with it. Based on what I have, I'd recommend getting one to anyone who uses drill bits frequently.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
(03-05-2012, 12:29 AM)miner49r Wrote: Pixman probably has the most important tool of all...
The Spousal Tool. It can be finicky and difficult to work with, but once mastered, can aid in more tool purchases. I actually just learned about this tool today reading the archives of a machining club in TX.
Alan

Quote:The PixMan gets ALL the cool toys.... Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

It's really quite an odd tool to use, though as you've acknowledged, once mastered it can be quite effective.

The way in which one uses it is actually indirect. You see in my case, it was yesterday that I bought a new matching bookcase for the living room, and this morning a new dining room set was delivered. I need those things as a blonde needs panties.

However, getting those things affords me a completely guilt and bullsh*t-free purchase of a rather nice Alliant mill based Prototrak CNC mill later this year. (It has already been selected.)
Thanks given by:
Your instructions of how to use the "Spousal Tool" are quite clear and easy to understand. With a little practice may we all become proficient with its use and application.

Worthy

Quote:It's really quite an odd tool to use, though as you've acknowledged, once mastered it can be quite effective.

The way in which one uses it is actually indirect. You see in my case, it was yesterday that I bought a new matching bookcase for the living room, and this morning a new dining room set was delivered. I need those things as a blonde needs panties.

However, getting those things affords me a completely guilt and bullsh*t-free purchase of a rather nice Alliant mill based Prototrak CNC mill later this year. (It has already been selected.)

Thanks given by:
(03-10-2012, 05:25 PM)miner49r Wrote: Your instructions of how to use the "Spousal Tool" are quite clear and easy to understand. With a little practice may we all become proficient with its use and application.
Worthy

Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
DaveH

Thanks given by: