Drill Sharpening
(02-19-2012, 07:46 AM)chucketn Wrote: What's a LH drill bit for? Drilling on the other side?
Chuck

Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
:)
DaveH
Thanks given by:
I thought it was obvious. I'm normally right handed, so I use RH drills. Sometimes if I get into a tight, cramped, or awkward position - I have to hold the drill with my left hand. So don't you have to use a LH drill bit for that? :huh:

I've had to remove a lot of broken off bolts and studs with my left hand too, thanks to my former co-workers. The boss would tell them to bring it over to Dirty Harry. "Every dirty job that comes along....." that was me. :@
Willie
Thanks given by:
A left hand drill bit will often unscrew a broken bolt/stud, eliminating the need for an extractor to be used.

I try to sharpen my drills on a grinder. Sometimes they work good, other times I think I make them worse. More practice needed. PixMan has a nice drill sharpener. Old and heavy duty from what I remember but cannot recall the brand.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
The one I have is a Black Diamond #2B from the 1960's that I found on the local Craigslist. It's nice, but has some limitations. It only accepts up to 1/2" drills in the set of bushings that came with the machine, and a 9/16" in the master collet. It does do a very repeatable, high-quality grind though.

[Image: IMG_1540-r.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ken,

Nice drill grinder, can't go wrong with that :)

DaveH
Thanks given by:
Mayhem,

I still grind all my drills by hand, I use the 3 equals:) (Sometimes I impress myself with my memoryBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin)

If it cuts it's fine, sometimes on the bigger ones 10mm plus I get it a bit wrong and it tends to only cut on one side. But hey it cuts easy and I still get a "roundish" hole.
:)
DaveH

Thanks given by:
(02-22-2012, 07:38 AM)PixMan Wrote: The one I have is a Black Diamond #2B from the 1960's that I found on the local Craigslist. It's nice, but has some limitations. It only accepts up to 1/2" drills in the set of bushings that came with the machine, and a 9/16" in the master collet. It does do a very repeatable, high-quality grind though.
Considering that 90% of my drilling needs are 1/2" and below, I would love to have a heavy duty grinder like that. Larger drills are much easier to grind by hand than the small ones anyway.

The PixMan gets ALL the cool toys.... Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
I would hate to see what that would sell for (new) these days though! :s
Willie
Thanks given by:
(02-22-2012, 08:08 AM)DaveH Wrote: ...I still grind all my drills by hand, I use the 3 equals:)...

Care to embelish on the "3 equals" Dave??

(02-22-2012, 08:08 AM)DaveH Wrote: ...sometimes on the bigger ones 10mm plus I get it a bit wrong and it tends to only cut on one side...

Yes, I have that problem too. I purchased a drill gauge which has helped but I am far from perfect.

Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(02-22-2012, 08:12 AM)Highpower Wrote:
(02-22-2012, 07:38 AM)PixMan Wrote: The one I have is a Black Diamond #2B from the 1960's that I found on the local Craigslist. It's nice, but has some limitations. It only accepts up to 1/2" drills in the set of bushings that came with the machine, and a 9/16" in the master collet. It does do a very repeatable, high-quality grind though.
Considering that 90% of my drilling needs are 1/2" and below, I would love to have a heavy duty grinder like that. Larger drills are much easier to grind by hand than the small ones anyway.

The PixMan gets ALL the cool toys.... Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
I would hate to see what that would sell for (new) these days though! :s

Meh...I just spend way too much time and money poking around on Craigslist and Ebay, buying tools I won't use much until after I retire...at 80.

You can see the prices on new Black Diamond drill grinders if you go to:

http://www.blackdiamondgrinder.com/....and click on "pricing".

I found that one needing a new wheel, though with the factory cabinet and all except two of the hundred or so bushings, for $375.

[Image: IMG_1293-r-1.jpg][Image: bd2.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(02-22-2012, 08:40 AM)PixMan Wrote: You can see the prices on new Black Diamond drill grinders if you go to:

http://www.blackdiamondgrinder.com/....and click on "pricing".

Like I said..... $5K - $6K Yowza!!!

As usual, you got a heck of a bargain. Cool
Willie
Thanks given by: