The misadventures of a Wells-Index 860C
Ron
Spray a little WD40 on the cutter while milling aluminum. Works wonders, absolutely useless as penetrating oil though.
Off topic, the best penetrating oil I've run across is equal parts Automatic transmission fluid and acetone.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(07-10-2012, 04:55 PM)f350ca Wrote: Off topic, the best penetrating oil I've run across is equal parts Automatic transmission fluid and acetone.

Greg,
You probably haven't tried Kano "Kroil" then. Big Grin
http://www.kanolabs.com/

That's not a sales pitch by the way. Just a satisfied customer. That stuff has worked for me when nothing else would. Worthy

Ron,
Milling aluminum? I buy WD-40 by the gallon for that! Big Grin

Willie
Willie
Thanks given by:
I'll give the WD-40 a try next time I'm on it, thanks!

While I've heard great things about an ATF/acetone mix I am also a firm believer in Kroil. I have a gallon of it my shop along with 3 or 4 spray cans of SiliKroil.

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
Finally amassed enough tooling (well, almost but therein lies a story...), vises, and fixtures to finish up the broken fishing rod project. Big Grin

[Image: reel003.JPG]

I actually glued the old plastic piece back together so that I could take better measurements of it. Gluing wasn't a viable repair option though as this piece acts as a "clamp" to hold the reel on to the rod.

[Image: reel004.JPG]

From the pictures, can you see how the one side of the "clamp" has a concave radius to it? Here's where the "story" comes in to play...

I have been dragging my feet on this a bit as I knew I had to have a way to cut the radius on the underside of this piece. I was really hoping to come across a good deal on a rotary table but that hasn't happened yet. I thought about using the horizontal drive on the W-I with an old boring head that I picked up but I still don't have the boring bars I'd need. What to do? What to do? Smiley-think005

Then it came to me, "Any tool can be the right tool! - Red Green" (google "Red Green" you'll figure it out. Big Grin), my Kurt vise has a swivel base! What I did was to find the "center" of where the vise pivots then position the work piece the proper distance from that point to give me the radius I was looking for. I lined up the piece with an end mill mounted in the quill, loosened up the two nuts holding the vise in position on the swivel base, and slowly fed the piece in to the end mill while moving the "tail" of the vise side-to-side thus cutting an arc. In a nutshell, I used the vise as a rotary table. Blush

It's not a high-precision piece or anything but I think it will do the job.

-Ron
Thanks given by:
Ron,
That looks like a nice bit of milling to me. Thumbsup
Of course it is high precision - you made it Thumbsup Smiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
That's thinking outside the box Ron! Well done.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys. I've always had a bit of a knack for, shall we say, "re-purposing" things. It was a bit of a pain to set up and I wouldn't try it on things much bigger or harder but it worked for this.

Don't tell anyone though, I might have to give back my "Junior Machinist" card. Tongue

-Ron
Thanks given by:
Great idea Ron,Smiley-signs107

using the swivel on your vice. It's thinking like that that created all the fancy tools we use today! Worthy

Jerry.Popcorn
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by: