The misadventures of a Wells-Index 860C
Hi
Ron
That is a propper looking mill
Be a bit on the heavy side for a engine craneBashBashBashBash
John
Thanks given by:
That's a GREAT machine, and you are going to love it!

Had you measured inside dimensions to know it would stand upright in there before you bought it?

I'd love to find such a machine in that condition. It really looks to be near mint. You may have lost the knob off the spindle brake in transit, but otherwise the bug guts are 100% removable. ;)

How much tooling do you have for such a machine? Got a good vise?

Which of the 3 options for tool adaptation does it have, the #9 Brown & Sharpe, the R8 or the #30 MMT?
Thanks given by:
(05-20-2012, 01:06 PM)doubleboost Wrote: Hi
Ron
That is a propper looking mill
Be a bit on the heavy side for a engine craneBashBashBashBash
John

I did have to use the engine crane on it though! Of course the only thing I used the crane for was to help get the head back to an upright position. The adjuster works fine 'til about 45 degrees but after that it's useless. Put a strap around the top of the motor and cranked it up, turned the adjuster to get a couple of degrees and repeat.

(05-20-2012, 08:05 PM)PixMan Wrote: That's a GREAT machine, and you are going to love it!

Had you measured inside dimensions to know it would stand upright in there before you bought it?

I'd love to find such a machine in that condition. It really looks to be near mint. You may have lost the knob off the spindle brake in transit, but otherwise the bug guts are 100% removable. ;)

How much tooling do you have for such a machine? Got a good vise?

Which of the 3 options for tool adaptation does it have, the #9 Brown & Sharpe, the R8 or the #30 MMT?

Yep, measured twice, or three times even. Probably paced back and forth over a dozen times as well. Sweat

Here it is in it's new "home"...
[Image: wim008.jpg]

I still need to spin it 90 degrees and center it on the back wall but believe or not, by the tape measure, I should have enough space to be fully functional. Also have to move my other machines back in as soon as I figure just how I'm going to arrange it all.

Didn't lose any knobs, I took them off before transport. Cool I can't take credit for the idea though as it was suggested by one of the guys at the equipment sales place. Blush

I got a little tooling with it and what I have appears to be R8. I think the horizontal takes #40 though. It's missing the arbor support and arbor for the horizontal mill but I'll contact Wells-Index and see if they can provide them.

Here's most of the tooling I got.
[Image: wellsindex012.jpg]
You can even see a couple of the "missing" knobs. Big Grin

I didn't get a vise with it though. I'm thinking about looking for a used 6" Kurt for it. Any thing to look out for on the "used" market?

Thanks guys,

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
Good job Ron
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Ron,

It looks very good and comfortable in it new home Thumbsup

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Time for an update.

I got the mill positioned to where I want it using pipes and brute force.

[Image: wim009.jpg]

[Image: wim010.jpg]

I have replaced the fubar "X" power feed with a rebuilt unit from Wells-Index and have purchased a Kurt D688 vise for it.

[Image: kurtd68802.JPG]

Right now I'm working of getting power to it. I light bulb went off somewhere in the dim recesses of my mind as I thought to check the power panels in the equipment room of my office building. FYI - My "shop" is in a set of garages across the parking lot from my office building and power is fed to my stall from the office. Turned out that all the motors for the building HVAC are all 3-phase. Better yet, the panel in the equipment room that feeds my "shop" is a 3-phase panel but was only sending the single phase out to the garage. Hopefully, tomorrow (Sunday) I'll get an extra wire pulled through the conduit and be a step closer to having power. It should prove to be interesting as I've never pulled 170' of #3 awg through a conduit before. Blush First time for everything, right? Big Grin

I'll let you know how it comes out.

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
Just curious but how would you pull the wire through? Pull 2 wires with one of the existing ones?
The other terror that came to mind was that you might end up with 340' of #6 wire Slaphead.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Ron,

One very smart looking vise ThumbsupThumbsupThumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Lots of lube Ron, use lots of lube!
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(06-11-2012, 05:47 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Lots of lube Ron, use lots of lube!

Smiley-signs064

How big is the conduit? will the wire fit?

It's been my experience that most construction uses building materials sparingly with little to no room for upgrade. Chin

Jerry.Popcorn
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by: