The misadventures of a Wells-Index 860C
Ron,

looks to me like you have the situation well under control. Smiley-signs107

I can't wight to see it making chips! Drool

Jerry.Popcorn
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
(07-02-2012, 06:14 PM)TOM REED Wrote: Welding curtain would probably be an excellent idea, also would keep prying eyes from seeing what you are doing . tpm

The only prying eyes I need to worry about are the ones that look at the Visa bill every month but she wouldn't be real interested in just what I am doing with my toys. Big Grin

(07-02-2012, 10:11 PM)ETC57 Wrote: Ron,

looks to me like you have the situation well under control. Smiley-signs107

I can't wight to see it making chips! Drool

Jerry.Popcorn

Situation under control?? Wow, that would be another first. Tongue

Thanks guys. I'll be destroying metal as soon as I can get the vise clamped down and some oil in the correct spots. I think I have enough tooling to start making a little mayhem at least. Big Grin

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
Don't forget the pics Ron! Also, Tom did a great video on indicating a vice on a mill, so no excuses there!!!
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(07-03-2012, 07:15 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Don't forget the pics Ron! Also, Tom did a great video on indicating a vice on a mill, so no excuses there!!!

I guess I do have a video camera. Hmmm....

-Ron
Thanks given by:
Well, no video as of yet but I am recouping my cost for the machinery by making a replacement for a .05 cent piece of broken plastic for an old fishing rod/reel!

Tada! My first "milling" project -

[Image: reel001.JPG]

[Image: reel002.JPG]

My son was on a Boy Scout camping trip and tool along an old fishing pole that was my wife's when she was a bit Rolleyes younger. I'm still a little fuzzy on what exactly happened but it somehow involved a "large" fish (that got away :) ) and the plastic wedge that secures the reel to the rod breaking.

I still need to round the end, drill and tap the hole, and put a concave radius on the side that comes in contact with the reel.

Oh, and I've decided I don't like working with aluminum. Being completely ignorant I, at one point, tried to remove too much Al (at least with the end mill, speed, etc. that I had things set at) and it turned into butter and clogged up my end mill. Fortunately I was able to "chip" it back off. This unknownium aluminum (piece of scrap I "salvaged" out of a line filter) is soft! Big Grin

I've got a good idea of how I'll finish this piece and I'll post the process.

Now I'm "dangerous" Rotfl

-Ron
Thanks given by:
You animal Ron, RotflRotfl

Jerry.Popcorn
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Ron,
They break it, you mend it Rotfl

Nice bit of milling Smiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
How many flutes does the end mill have that you used Ron? Two flute end mills are best suited to aluminium, as these provide better chip control and are less likely to choke up.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(07-09-2012, 09:50 PM)ETC57 Wrote: You animal Ron, RotflRotfl

Jerry.Popcorn

I'm excited! At this rate I may make back my "investment" Tongue by the next millenium. Woo hoo! My wife will be so proud. Big Grin

(07-10-2012, 02:49 AM)DaveH Wrote: Ron,
They break it, you mend it Rotfl

Nice bit of milling Smiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Thanks. That's pretty much how my life works. I come home each night to see what "new" project I have sitting on my counter to repair. Slaphead

(07-10-2012, 07:40 AM)Mayhem Wrote: How many flutes does the end mill have that you used Ron? Two flute end mills are best suited to aluminium, as these provide better chip control and are less likely to choke up.

Yeah, I know that using a 4-flute wasn't "optimal" but it's all I had on hand. I'm hoping that it will just be a matter of time until I get a better "feel" for what combination of depth of cut, feed rate, rpm, and end mill type is appropriate for a particular material and cut. I've looked at all the charts until I'm cross-eyed so now it's a matter of starting to apply it.

"A man's got to know his (tools') limitations." - D. Harry

-Ron
Thanks given by:
Hi
Ron
Well done on getting your mill running ThumbsupThumbsup
You will be able to do some serious metal removal with that beastDroolDrool
John
Thanks given by: