The misadventures of a Wells-Index 860C
Time for another update.

"It lives!" Big Grin

I found a 3-phase panel on e-bay and spent a couple of afternoons replacing the old box as well as running some conduit/wiring for an outlet near the back of the "shop".

[Image: wiring01.JPG]

I also re-wired both motors for 208-230v (which turned out to be much easier than expected). Thanks to whoever had the idea of putting the wiring diagrams on the motor plates!!!

Today I was able to plug it in for the first time and turn it on. Checked the function of the switches and motors, everything seems to be in good working order. I didn't run the motors for very long as now I need to get the right lubricants for it. Blush I want to keep it in as good of shape as I can.

I did have one little embarrassing "mishap" with it though. I was testing out the one-shot lube system. I pushed on the lever a few times and did not see any oil seeping out from where it should. Figuring that I had one of two situations, either the lines were empty as it has sat for a while, or the pump was not working (it did feel a little stiff).

With that in mind I continued to cycle the lever hoping to see some oil appear. After a couple of minutes (maybe 5 or so Rolleyes) I decided to give up and come back to it later to figure out just what was wrong. Now, as I walked around to the other side of the mill what do I see? Oil is dripping down the side of the knee and on to the floor. I have a puddle that covers about two square feet. Slaphead

Good thing I keep a bag of "oil-dry" handy. Blush

Ironically enough, now I need to go buy some oil for the mill as well as a couple of other items so I can actually try to make some chips with it.

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: The misadventures of a Wells-Index 860C - by ScrapMetal - 07-02-2012, 02:30 AM