The misadventures of a Wells-Index 860C
Well, no video as of yet but I am recouping my cost for the machinery by making a replacement for a .05 cent piece of broken plastic for an old fishing rod/reel!

Tada! My first "milling" project -

[Image: reel001.JPG]

[Image: reel002.JPG]

My son was on a Boy Scout camping trip and tool along an old fishing pole that was my wife's when she was a bit Rolleyes younger. I'm still a little fuzzy on what exactly happened but it somehow involved a "large" fish (that got away :) ) and the plastic wedge that secures the reel to the rod breaking.

I still need to round the end, drill and tap the hole, and put a concave radius on the side that comes in contact with the reel.

Oh, and I've decided I don't like working with aluminum. Being completely ignorant I, at one point, tried to remove too much Al (at least with the end mill, speed, etc. that I had things set at) and it turned into butter and clogged up my end mill. Fortunately I was able to "chip" it back off. This unknownium aluminum (piece of scrap I "salvaged" out of a line filter) is soft! Big Grin

I've got a good idea of how I'll finish this piece and I'll post the process.

Now I'm "dangerous" Rotfl

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: The misadventures of a Wells-Index 860C - by ScrapMetal - 07-09-2012, 09:35 PM