Help Printing Problem
I'm having a problem printing something I drew up in FreeCAD. When I go to print it the printer prints an area in the middle that is not part of the design. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Ed

This picture shows the section in the middle that shouldn't be printing. The printer crashes into it when it does another layer over the whole surface.

These two pictures are the top and bottom of the FreeCAD design that shows there isn't any square section in the middle that should be printed.

These two pictures are the top and bottom of the slicer design the shows there isn't any square section in the middle that should be printed.

Slice settings showing no brims or supports are included in the printing.

Thanks given by:
Not sure what slicer you are using but in Simplify3D you can do a preview and then look at each layer individually.

I had to do that the other day to build a temperature tower. It's not 100% user friendly but is you mess with it you can see exactly what layer 1 looks like, then layer 2, etc. You can actually see the trace of the print head so if it is going over the same area a second time you will see it.

Just a thought.

Note that if you want to email me the .stl I'll try slicing it here and see what I get. Maybe with a different slicer the results will be different. Or we will be able to identify it as an "interesting part" of the .stl file.

Arvid
Thanks given by:
I'm using PrusaSlicer. I think it has that function of looking at individual layers and watching the print path. Good idea. I'll see if I can figure out how to enable that function. I've attached the STL file if you want to play with it.

Ed

Attached Files
.stl   LP_E6N.stl (Size: 135.82 KB / Downloads: 2)
Thanks given by:
I loaded it into Simplify3d, flipped its back via a 90 degree rotate on the X axis and then sliced it. Looks fine. 491 layers at a .15mm layer setting.

If you want to send me the parameters I can send you the gcode. I only saw it was PLA and .15mm in the page you showed. I'd need temperatures, etc. Or you can take pot-luck with the Inland PLA settings that I use.
Thanks given by:
Arvid,

Sorry for my late response. I had computer problems yesterday and spent most of the day trying to resolve them. I dual boot Windoze and Linux and neither one would come up properly after installing a Linux upgrade. I ended up having to wipe the drive clean and reinstalling both operating systems. Have I ever said how much I hate Windoze?  Bash

Thanks for the work on checking out the STL file. I didn't get a chance to pursue PrusaSlicer for the feature that allows you to watch the print head path. I've got a doctor appointment this morning but will work on it when I get back. I'll send you the parameters if I can't get anywhere with PrusaSlicer.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(07-29-2020, 09:29 AM)EdK Wrote: I had computer problems yesterday and spent most of the day trying to resolve them. I dual boot Windoze and Linux and neither one would come up properly after installing a Linux upgrade. I ended up having to wipe the drive clean and reinstalling both operating systems. Have I ever said how much I hate Windoze?  Bash

I had a similar problem a month ago. I think it was related to a Grub update. I could still boot Mint 19.3 but Windows 10 would no longer boot. It would try and then go into recovery mode but was never able to recover. I had to rebuild the Windows SSD from scratch.

I share your hate of Windows. Luckily I only use it for two applications that only run on Windows. Had one of them was working with Wine but a bug in a Wine update put a stop to that for now. I may replace the other one with a Web based application and assuming Wine is fixed can then get rid of the darn thing.

I also decided to go from Mint 19.3 to 20.0 the "hard but probably safe" way. Given the significant change of the underlying Ubuntu 18 to Ubuntu 20 in the Mint upgrade I put in a spare SSD and installed Mint 20.0 from scratch rather than try the "automated upgrade" via the Update Manager. It is taking longer but I am also weeding out some of the thing I had installed over the last three years but never actually used.

Anyway, just let me know what I can do to help with the printing.

And by the way, what is it? I am guessing a ???? holder that fits in the tool box but am wondering about the ????

Arvid
Thanks given by:
(07-29-2020, 10:05 AM)arvidj Wrote: I had a similar problem a month ago. I think it was related to a Grub update. I could still boot Mint 19.3 but Windows 10 would no longer boot. It would try and then go into recovery mode but was never able to recover. I had to rebuild the Windows SSD from scratch.

I share your hate of Windows. Luckily I only use it for two applications that only run on Windows. Had one of them was working with Wine but a bug in a Wine update put a stop to that for now. I may replace the other one with a Web based application and assuming Wine is fixed can then get rid of the darn thing.

I also decided to go from Mint 19.3 to 20.0 the "hard but probably safe" way. Given the significant change of the underlying Ubuntu 18 to Ubuntu 20 in the Mint upgrade I put in a spare SSD and installed Mint 20.0 from scratch rather than try the "automated upgrade" via the Update Manager. It is taking longer but I am also weeding out some of the thing I had installed over the last three years but never actually used.

Anyway, just let me know what I can do to help with the printing.

And by the way, what is it? I am guessing a ???? holder that fits in the tool box but am wondering about the ????

Arvid

Upgrading to Mint 20 is what started all of the problems. I tried going back to 19.3 but no go so I reinstalled everything. Kept with 19.3 since it's been very stable for me. The only thing I need Windoze for is to run my 2D CAD program Solid Edge2D otherwise I would have dumped Windoze.

It's a holder for my camera batteries and the charger. Right now they're just thrown in a drawer with a bunch of other photography related items so it's a bit of a mess. I should be able to stack two of them in the drawer saving a lot of space. That's the theory anyways.  Blush

Ed
Thanks given by:
I figured out how to use the preview feature and I'm not seeing any artifacts that would cause the issue. I created a new g-code file and it's 1.3M larger than the original file that I created so I'm printing it again to see if it does the same thing.

Ed
Thanks given by:
It seems to be working now. The g-code file must have been corrupted. It's passed where it had screwed up before. Only 19.5 hours left to print.  Yikes

Ed

Thanks given by:
Only 15 hours left. Looks good so far. I probably could have made the walls thinner but I don't have any experience with this material. I'll know better next time.

Ed

Thanks given by: