Machinist files
I have searched high and low for high quality, made in USA files, and none are to be found.  Nicholson, which used to be the gold standard, is now made in Mexico or Brazil.  Various reviews, forum posts and blogs all lament the lower quality of the newer ones.  Don't even get me started on the Chinese knockoffs.

So, other than a nice score at a garage sale or flea market, what are you guys using?  I know that even the best files wear out over time, but I'd like something that is worth the money spent.  I'm looking for a nice set of American pattern mill files, bastard and second cut.  Are the Nicholson still my best option?
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
I recently read on one of the forums that the quality of Nicholson has improved lately. True or not I don't know.

Greg
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
I understand one can "sharpen" files using reverse electrolysis.  Haven't tried it yet but it does make some sense.
Thanks given by:
I've been meaning to try that, but I need another project like I need a hole in my head.
Thanks given by:
It's not difficult nor time consuming to build a reverse electrolysis set up.  I made one using rebar, a large plastic tote and a battery charger as the power supply.
Thanks given by:
(08-18-2020, 09:51 PM)Dr Stan Wrote: It's not difficult nor time consuming to build a reverse electrolysis set up.  I made one using rebar, a large plastic tote and a battery charger as the power supply.

Do you have a schematic handy to post ..??       Smiley-eatdrink004
Thanks given by:
Harry Epstein still has a few American made Nicholson files for sale.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(08-19-2020, 01:19 AM)Clifford B. Wrote:
(08-18-2020, 09:51 PM)Dr Stan Wrote: It's not difficult nor time consuming to build a reverse electrolysis set up.  I made one using rebar, a large plastic tote and a battery charger as the power supply.

Do you have a schematic handy to post ..??       Smiley-eatdrink004

Just do an internet search for reverse electrolysis like I did for this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3VzTKSHOHQ
Thanks given by:
Thanx.....
Thanks given by:
So, after much searching and reading, I decided to buy some Nicholson files. Because I've been an eBay customer since the early years, they threw me a $25 off coupon (anniversary or something), and I bought the 22025NNN set. https://www.zoro.com/crescent-nicholson-.../G3457693/ eBay vendor was also Zoro, but with the coupon & tax it came to just under $50, shipped. Package came last week, but wife made me wait until my birthday to have them!

Files are made in Brazil; file card is made in US. Files all look to be of decent quality, and all cut well. Cuts are smooth and even, and effort to get a decent chamfer is minimal. No obvious bad teeth, uneven spacing or other defects. No idea how well they will hold up, but at first look, I am satisfied.
Thanks given by: