Help needed re Chinese lathe saddle adjustment
As title............ chinese lathe now displaying signs of actually being used!
Saddle has sideways play in it, the only adjustment are the cap bolts underneath that can be tightened or loosened.(no gibs).
So side play not removeable?

I'm thinking spring plunger screws....drilled/tapped sideways into saddle below(imagine drilled and tapped hole in white in pic) bed for small amounts of adjustment, am I onto a winner here? or just wasting my time??
Pic.....

[Image: vtEnmek.jpg]

Sorry about the crap around saddle/lead screw...it's been hammered, hence the above question.
Light travels faster than sound!
This is why some people appear bright until they open their mouth!
Preserve nature...…….Pickle a squirrel! 
Thanks given by:
My recommendation is to start saving your coin and find a good used Denford or Emco Maier lathe. Another option would be something built in the former Soviet bloc. I've used Polish lathes and they were outstanding. I understand Russian and Czechoslovakian machines are also quite good but I do not have first hand experience with them.
Thanks given by:
What lathe do you have? Based on the single picture I'm guessing a variant of the min-lathe. Could you please post a picture of the entire lathe so we have a better idea of what lathe you're referring to.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Is it the saddle or the apron that has side play in it? 17428

The saddle rests on the V-way so the only way to have side play is if the V-way(s) are severely worn or there is something stuck under the saddle that is holding it up off of the bed V.

If it the apron that has side play it could be the bolts that hold it to the saddle are loose, or it could be missing the taper pins on top that hold it inline with the saddle?

Either way running tension screws against the gear rack on the bed would not be my first choice.
Smiley-gen163
Willie
Thanks given by:
(08-06-2020, 07:17 AM)Highpower Wrote: Is it the saddle or the apron that has side play in it?  17428

The saddle rests on the V-way so the only way to have side play is if the V-way(s) are severely worn or there is something stuck under the saddle that is holding it up off of the bed V.

If it the apron that has side play it could be the bolts that hold it to the saddle are loose, or it could be missing the taper pins on top that hold it inline with the saddle?

Either way running tension screws against the gear rack on the bed would not be my first choice.
Smiley-gen163
Not actually sure now if it's the saddle or the apron 🤦‍♂️ here's a pic though!
It has 4 cap head bolts fitted underneath on either side, if I tighten them to remove play, the saddle binds badly @ headstock and tailstock end of bed, but it's ok in the middle.
[Image: 4qLSyEO.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Looks like it's gettin binned, new lathe search commences!
Thanks given by:
See my previous comments.  BTW, I've used Denford and Emco Maier machines and they were excellent.
Thanks given by:
Sounds like the ways are either worn or bowed (probably the latter). The only solution would be to scrape them, which is probably not worth the effort, unless you are looking for a challenging project.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Before you bin it, consider turning it into a buffer, a grinder or even a cylindrical grinder.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the replies folks, been a long, long time since I've scraped! but I have, in my time as an apprentice!!

Will keep my eyes open for somewhat better quality kit, decided not to scrap it, for now I will work around the problem till I get a chance to sort it/buy better!!  😎

It's not a major, major issue, just bloody annoying!🤣

Cheers.

Roy.
Thanks given by: