Filament Review
I bought a roll of this stuff from Amazon & that'll be the last one. Print a job, let it sit overnight still in the extruder and it'll break for sure. The first time it happened the printer kept on printing even though it has a filament sensor. Luckily I caught it before it got too far into the job. Fixed the filament sensor issue and the next few jobs I go to print and the filament has snapped off. I leave it in the extruder between jobs which, as far as I know, is OK to do. I had no problems with the spool of filament I got with my printer.  17428

Oh, and it's stringy as hell.

I looked at the reviews on Amazon and the consensus for that filament is that it use to be good quality but lately has gone to hell. Lesson learned. Good thing I only bought one spool of it.

Ed

Thanks given by:
I never take the filament out of the extruder and have never had any issues. I've tried to aways use Inland filament from Microcenter but have had to give a couple of brands from Amazon a try as Microcenter was out of PETG in black and I did not like the seriously orange look their red PETG had.

I'll let you know how those brands work out in a few weeks.
Thanks given by: EdK
I'll be trying a spool of that Inland filament next. It's got to be better than the 3D Solutech stuff.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I'll vouch for Hatchbox. Great filament. I've used PLA, PETG and ABS from them with no issues.
Right on cue this morning.  Bash

Ed

Thanks given by:
Unless I need to change color, I leave it in till it's gone, or there's not going to be enough to finish an upcoming print. The stuff that's in there now is ABS and has been in for a few years! I put it in 'cuze it's green ABS and my niece was going off to Michigan State, so I made her some Spartan cookie cutters (she bakes). She graduates this year!
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Second the recommendation for Hatchbox. Got a spool of black PLA, and have had very good results. Only problems I have had with it turned out to be bed leveling issues. Note: if you move your printer, it will probably need to be re-leveled.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
Another brand that snaps off between jobs. This time just overnight.

Tecbears

TECBEARS

It got good reviews but I won't be buying it anymore.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Filament snapping is usually an indication of moisture absorption. Have you tried drying it?

Lots of people reporting that brand new filament needs to be dried before use. I think it's a manufacturing problem as the various companies try to keep up with demand.

I keep mine in plastic bins with lots of industrial desiccant packets. If I leave it out, it sometimes gives me trouble, so I switch to a different spool and throw the problem one in the storage
bins.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
(06-14-2022, 06:54 AM)rleete Wrote: Filament snapping is usually an indication of moisture absorption.  Have you tried drying it?

Lots of people reporting that brand new filament needs to be dried before use.  I think it's a manufacturing problem as the various companies try to keep up with demand.

I keep mine in plastic bins with lots of industrial desiccant packets.  If I leave it out, it sometimes gives me trouble, so I switch to a different spool and throw the problem one in the storage
bins.

It is starting to get more humid down here so maybe that's it. Chin
I'll try putting it in a sealed container with desiccant in it between jobs instead of leaving it on the printer.

Ed
Thanks given by: