How to Add a 3 Phase Motor and VFD to a 10x22 Lathe
(05-20-2012, 08:54 AM)EdAK Wrote: Changing the speed on the fly as you are turning a piece is very nice because as the diameter of the piece gets smaller you can turn up the speed without stopping to change belts and/or gears. Having variable speed on the fly saves time. Once you've had a machine with a VFD, you'd not want to be without it. YMMV Smile

Ed

Here's annother example of why variable speed is convenient: Yesterday I was boring a large hole on my lathe. I started with a spotter and worked my way from 1/8" through 1/2" in about 5 drill steps before going to the boring bar. I was able to readjust the speed for each drill with just a turn of a knob. Without variable speed, I would have needed to change the belt to pulley settings.
henryarnold, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
(05-19-2012, 08:48 PM)henryarnold Wrote: Ed,
I used a plastic electrical junction box from Home Depot. They come in 3 sizes 6x6x4, 8x8x4, and 12x12x6. The one I used on my lathe is the 12x12x6 but I cut it down to 12x12x5 so that the VFD just pokes out the front panel. This box costs about $32. They are quite easy to modify and have some mounting ears that make it easy to mount. I noticed that Home Depot also carries a sprinkler timer enclosure which has a hinged door. This might make a good VFD enclosure.

Henry Arnold
Henry,

I got one of the 12x12x6 boxes from Menards yesterday and I was wondering what you used to cut the box down to 5"? It seems like you would lose your corner screw holes for the cover if you cut an inch off of the box.

Thanks,
Ed
Thanks given by:
Ed, it looks like the ribs for the screw points run the full depth of the box to me. 17428

Just drill new holes?
Willie
Thanks given by:
(05-20-2012, 11:55 AM)EdAK Wrote:
(05-19-2012, 08:48 PM)henryarnold Wrote: Ed,
I used a plastic electrical junction box from Home Depot. They come in 3 sizes 6x6x4, 8x8x4, and 12x12x6. The one I used on my lathe is the 12x12x6 but I cut it down to 12x12x5 so that the VFD just pokes out the front panel. This box costs about $32. They are quite easy to modify and have some mounting ears that make it easy to mount. I noticed that Home Depot also carries a sprinkler timer enclosure which has a hinged door. This might make a good VFD enclosure.

Henry Arnold
Henry,

I got one of the 12x12x6 boxes from Menards yesterday and I was wondering what you used to cut the box down to 5"? It seems like you would lose your corner screw holes for the cover if you cut an inch off of the box.

Thanks,
Ed

Ed,
The box from Home Depot had ribs with holes running the full depth. The sides were not tapered by much allowing me to trim off 1" on my table saw. I could have also done it with a hand held Sabre saw. If your box doesn't have the ribs all the way through, create your own mounting brackets for the lid. I did not post a Home Depot link because I couldn't find the box on their website.
Henry
henryarnold, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
(05-20-2012, 09:53 AM)DanH Wrote: Thanks for the info guys. I am so new at this, I hope my questions don't seem too ridicules.

Hi
Dan your questions are just what this forum is all about
This link shows my lathe (which was 3 phase when i bought it) screw cutting using a VFD speed controller
http://www.metalworkingfun.com/showthrea...74#pid4374
John
Thanks given by:
(05-20-2012, 04:10 PM)Highpower Wrote: Ed, it looks like the ribs for the screw points run the full depth of the box to me. 17428

Just drill new holes?

Willie,

The corners don't have ribs running the full depth of the box, only the center ribs run the full depth

After taking some measurements, I think I'll be OK with the height of the box as is so I won't need to cut it down.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Ok Ed, I was just looking at the picture of Henry's box. Obviously then the Menards box is different. Smiley-signs125
Willie
Thanks given by: