Tractor grapple
I finally got the grapple finished yesterday. Had a major interruption to the job as I had a car in the shed for a few weeks with the engine out and supercharger etc off so I couldn't be throwing grinding sparks around. Got that job out of the way and concentrated my days off on the grapple for a while.
There was a lot of welding in it. I've been out of practice with the MIG for quite a while and was getting very frustrated with the quality of my welding until it occurred to me to put my reading glasses on under my welding helmet. Suddenly I could see what I was doing! it looks like two different people have done the welding on this thing now. I guess I've done so little welding over the last few years whilst my eyes have been ageing rapidly. I now have to remind myself every time I put the welding helmet on, to put the glasses on too.
Anyway a few pics:
The tips of all the tines are laminated both sides with 6mm plate

That was the last of the welding other than the infill plates (2mm) at the ends to protect the hydraulics.
Got a coat of crappy paint on it yesterday and this morning gave it a bit of a workout.

Moved this pile of debris from where it's been sitting too close to other trees to burn. So nice to move all this stuff from the tractor seat instead of throwing it on and off a trailer by hand.

Had a play with some logs just for the heck of it. I'll need to replace the worn-out pump in my PTO hydraulic power pack, it struggled to lift these. The (new) pump in the tractor provides better power but lower flow, so it's either work slowly with good lifting power (on the tractor hydraulics) or quickly but run out of oomph (on the auxilliary unit).

Nice to get this project finished. The hooks that I forged for the quick-attach are not great, I'm no blacksmith, but I have plans to convert the tractor to a euro-hitch so will leave them as they are until then.

Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
Man that's a lot of welding, Pete! Looks like it works very well. Thumbsup

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(04-14-2021, 08:54 PM)Pete O Wrote: ... it looks like two different people have done the welding on this thing now.

I can be found in the camp on the left most of the time. Rotfl

Willie
Thanks given by:
Very nice design and construction.
Thanks given by:
(04-14-2021, 10:39 PM)Highpower Wrote:
(04-14-2021, 08:54 PM)Pete O Wrote: ... it looks like two different people have done the welding on this thing now.

I can be found in the camp on the left most of the time.  Rotfl

Three types, my welding is more to the left that that. smiley_laughing
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
Do you sell the plans and cad files? This would be useful.
Thanks given by:
Welcome to the forum, Geoffm!!
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
Smiley-signs046 Geoffm.
Willie
Thanks given by:
Welcome to the forum Geoffm :)

Whereabouts in Un Zud (NZ) are you located and what's your metal passion !!

Steve
Thanks given by: